cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

IPv6 acces to LAN device

With BT hub can IPv6 be used to access devices on LAN?

I'm investigating if a raspberry pi can be accessed via SSH using its IPv6 address.

I set a v6 pinhole on the router using port 22 to the R Pi  inet6 address.  This is selected by using the BT Hub pinhole setup to select the device that is connected to the LAN.

I can SSH to the Pi using this address when on the LAN.

If I try to SSH using the same address from the WAN side of the router it can't connect.  Ditto trying a ping from the WAN to the same address is a 'general failure'.

I'm complete newbie to V6.  How is routing accomplished?  Just because the pi V6 is accessible, how does the "internet" know how to route a packet to this address?  Is there something else that is needed so that a local device is known in the V6 universe?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: IPv6 acces to LAN device

The very first thing you need to do is change the SSH port on the Raspberry Pi.  Next up, I use a third-party router, and setting up access to internal IPv6 devices is not easy.  Here it requires the device (in your case an RPi) to request a pinhole or a hole to be poked through the firewall using a script so it deals with Dynamic IPv6 prefixes.
*All my major IPv6 devices are accessible via their FQDNs both locally and remotely, but remote is only set up when I need it and I can VPN in if I need to tweak!
Not knowing the usage scenario, would running a VPN server on the RPi be a suitable alternative?

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 3 of 3

Re: IPv6 acces to LAN device

Hi Crimliar.  I appreciate your answer but I don't think it addresses the basic question.  I'd like to get ipv6 via the BT HUB. Perhaps it doesn't work.

I understand your advice on SSH/22 but that's not relevant for this investigation.  Neither can I be troubled to run up another router.  Trouble squared?

As an aside to kick off a rant, but not at you at all.  Why on earth does dynamic ipv6 exist?  There are no shortage of available addresses, so seems to be a rod to keep consumers where they belong!

Anyway, hope all have a good weekend.  Cheers.

0 Ratings