Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyhudson1979
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

IPv6 on Netgear Nighthawk D7000

Hi,

With BT now rolling out IPv6, I was wondering has anyone with a non-BT modem/router managed to get this setup. I have a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 and when I go to set this up, I get the following screen asking for passwords and so on. Does anyone have any idea what I would enter here?

I'm assuming the HH5 and the new HH Smart Hub would not have any of this complexity, it would just work behind the scenes? I may consider getting a smart hub as it's very reasonable for £50 for existing customers IMHO.

ipv6.JPG

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: IPv6 on Netgear Nighthawk D7000

Login is homehub@btbroadband.com, password BT. Leave the rest as is.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Just in case anyone turns up here seeking help on getting this modem, among others from Netgear, to do IPv6, this message from Netgear's support may be interesting:

BT Infinity ISP uses IPv6-PD IPv6 configuration our devices do not support IPv6-PD configuration and...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

This whole "Hysteria" about IPv6 is totally media driven. At present it is not necessary although it will be in quite a few years from now.

Yes the IP registrants have run out and to ameliorate it have introduced IPv6 but it is nothing more than future proofing, the MSM picked up on it and created a frenzy for IPv6 connection availabilty.

Even if you have a half decent VPN you'll find that it will disable IPv6 connections (or at least provide the means to) to prevent DNS leaks via WebRTC.

Netgear have chosen not to implement it on 4 of there current routers purely because it is not necessary. No doubt furture ones will have it enabled along with an inbuilt VPN which resolves the DNS leakage.

Here's a challenge for all panicing about IPv6, post a link to any website that is unconnectable via IPv4.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

http://loopsofzen.co.uk/

You did ask!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

You did ask!!

They have an IPv4 address.

"

Name servers:
        primary-dns.co.uk         81.187.30.41  2001:8b0:0:30::51bb:1e29
        secondary-dns.co.uk       81.187.81.32  2001:8b0:0:81::51bb:5120

Also it's wise to check here.

2017-09-18 19_36_11-Is loopsofzen.co.uk down_.png

For clarification I disabled my VPN (enabling IPv6 again and still couldn't connect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

I made no judgement on whether they were asking a silly question, or whether or not IPv6 is the bees knees. I simply replied to a question that someone asked about a modem that will not deliver what they asked for.

I do know that when I also challenged the need for IPv6 there was some backlash from people who told me that I didn't know what I was talking about, which was probably true.

This issue also comes up from time to time on the Netgear forum. I guess there are some people who just want to future proof their equipment. After all, not everyone replaces their modems every year.

It is hard enough picking a new modem, finding a new reason to choose one over another can help.

And with BT making a thing about IPv6, and the Homehubs' support for it, you can hardly blame some people for believing what their ISP tells them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@pippincp wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

You did ask!!

They have an IPv4 address.

"

Name servers:
        primary-dns.co.uk         81.187.30.41  2001:8b0:0:30::51bb:1e29
        secondary-dns.co.uk       81.187.81.32  2001:8b0:0:81::51bb:5120

Also it's wise to check here.

2017-09-18 19_36_11-Is loopsofzen.co.uk down_.png

For clarification I disabled my VPN (enabling IPv6 again and still couldn't connect.

I can reach it with IPv6 enabled. If I disable IPv6 it is unreachable.

zen.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

I'll contact A&A for clarification on this as they are the hosting ISP and clearly show an IPv4 address for the site as I highlighted in the lookup.

It may take a day or so to get their reply and possible explanation but I thank you for the link.

I'm also open to others.

I also checked connectivity via another site and got this.

2017-09-18 20_16_19-Loopsofzen.co.uk - Is Loopsofzen Down Right Now_.png

I'll also contact them as well as downforeveryone to see what protocol they use to check. With them they may or may not reply but it would be interesting.

Another thought, are you sure you are not getting the page to load via the internet cache on the machine you are using?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

@michaelkenward wrote:

I made no judgement on whether they were asking a silly question, or whether or not IPv6 is the bees knees. I simply replied to a question that someone asked about a modem that will not deliver what they asked for.

I do know that when I also challenged the need for IPv6 there was some backlash from people who told me that I didn't know what I was talking about, which was probably true.

This issue also comes up from time to time on the Netgear forum. I guess there are some people who just want to future proof their equipment. After all, not everyone replaces their modems every year.

It is hard enough picking a new modem, finding a new reason to choose one over another can help.

And with BT making a thing about IPv6, and the Homehubs' support for it, you can hardly blame some people for believing what their ISP tells them.

My post was not intended to be a backlash as to your comment. In the light of the link provided by @licquorice it would appear I could be wrong or at least need to investigate further.

It may take me a while but I will get back with a definative answer as I know just the person to ask for more info, he's a networking expert and has worked as a consultant for most UK providers and a few in the US and elsewhere. If he doesn't know no-one does. Again it may be a while before he gets back to me but I will post his comments.

0 Ratings