cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKM
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

If Superfast Fibre 2 is "impacted", will Halo 1 also be?

I am currently on a Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited package, however the Broadband Availability Checker result below shows that my speed is marginally above the minimum of the impacted range (B) rather than within the clean range (A).  Its been this way since a line fault occurred a couple of years ago, but it never returned to the near maximum clean speed it had before the fault occurred.  Since it is well above the Stay Fast Guaranteed speed BT won't do anything about it.

Line Check.jpg

However, I keep getting "reminders" from BT that Fibre 100 is now available in my region and this offers higher speeds with their Halo1 & 2 packages, up to 138Mps with a guarantee of 100.

My question is whether, if I did upgrade to either of these "Halo" services, the connection would still be "impacted" so I would be getting significantly less than the maximum speed (ie. as I currently have) or closer to it (as I used to have with SF2).

I am less than 1km from the exchange and about 25m from the street cabinet.

Going from 71Mbps to 138Mbps might be worth the upgrade cost, even though we rarely use all of the available bandwidth, but from 71Mpbs to only 100Mbps (the minimum) probably wouldn't.

Other than "suck it and see" is there any way to find out?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: If Superfast Fibre 2 is "impacted", will Halo 1 also be?

I really doubt you are on impacted speed and more likely your connection has never fully recovered from the line problems you had previously. Posting your hub stats would help

from checker results you can upgrade to G.FAST and will get the speeds expected especially when the DLM is reset during the upgrade

halo 1 and 2 are addons and  to the package

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks Reverend 🤣 (takes me back!)

I think this is the Hub stats you asked for...

Hub stats.jpg

This also shows the 70.85Mbps download speed of the availability checker.  Anything I should do to improve this?

Also, if Halo 1 & 2 are add-ons, what is the basic gfast package and where do BT offer this?  All I can see in my offers is HaloX options, admittedly with stuff I don't need.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Your connection time is only 7 days was that router dropping connection or manual reset

your stats look ok with noise margin at 7.2db slightly higher than normL 6db. You need to maintain a stable connection and DLM will reduce your noise margin back to normal with will increase speed to nearer attainable. This could take a few weeks of stable connection

if you want to upgrade to G.FAST try phoning 08005874787 which is FTTP team

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I think that was the "normal" 2 weekly reboot that the hub seems to do on its own.

Certainly wasn't manual as I haven't messed with the setup in many a month.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

if it was the 'normal' 14 day reset then that should not affect your connection as you find that speed before and after reset are the same ( was a sufferer for months and it just stopped all of a sudden)

0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

As I said, the speed has been around 70mbps since the fault, within +/1Mbps.  I left it for a while after the fault was "fixed", hoping DLM would expire and it would improve.  As I mentioned, it didn't but, being more than the guaranteed speed, BT aren't interested in restoring it to the original speed and I don't have any records to prove that it was better either.

0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

"I don't have any records to prove that it was better either."

Well, I suppose I do, but they aren't acceptable to BT.

My SpeedTest.net archives which show I regularly got >75Mbps download until it dropped to 6Mbps in April 2018 when I reported the fault, then SpeedTest recovered to 65-68Mbps after the fault was fixed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

As your current speed is within your expected range then as you have found out BT will not help you get another few mb of speed which in real life you would hardly notice unless you were looking at the router stats

try the number I posted and see what they say about G.FAST

0 Ratings