cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Ignorant FTTP hopeful

Hi - new to community ... hoping for some guidance please.  Openreach has just installed Fibre  to a post near my gate.  It is 50 or so metres from the house and engineer has today said that the existing copper conduit cannot be used.  He has suggested digging but that will be complicated and expensive with grass, tarmac and paving to be tackled.  Can the connection from the DP to the house be made overhead?  TIA!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ignorant FTTP hopeful

are you a BT broadband customer?

if so enter your phone number and post results remember delete number 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Yes, it is physically possible to supply FTTP overhead, many premises are. However, it may not be possible for your particular installation.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Thanks - I'm transferring to BT and have done that and raised an order.  Openreach visited today to inspect and raised this implementation problem with no clear solution as yet.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Just need to wait in openreach/BT getting back to you. 50m span may be to much

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

OK - thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Normally Openreach prefer to follow the existing cable route, which must be done on Grade 2 Listed Buildings but that’s a different story.

If going overhead is OK with you I’m 100% positive Openreach will be fine with it as they’ll do anything to avoid Civils work due to the cost of it.

The only issues you have with overhead work now is Openreach use a Tetra Climbing System, Sky Dish Fitters have been doing it for years. They basically attached the ladders to your house using a strap system secured by a removable eyebolt they drill into the wall. Obviously this can only be drilled into mortar or brick. So if your house is made of say wood then that might be a problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Thanks - unfortunately it's wood!  I'll have to await Openreach's next visit and see how creative they can be

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Can a Hoist get to it? If not there’s always Scaffolding. Openreach have their own Scaffolding Team now and they’re a lot cheaper than digging up you garden.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thanks - I'm now awaiting a visit from the planning team and will raise the options suggested here

0 Ratings