cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Enigma123
Expert
Message 1 of 8

Important Note to All Replace Your DSL Cable!

Hi all i have had my modem hacked for a while, I am about 700 and odd metres from the FTTC that serves my address the new firmware that i put on saw me gain 3MB on my download side.

I then started looking at what else i could do and replaced my DSL cable the flat one that goes from the socket to the modem and i got about 4MB out of that the DSL cable that i bought was just a CAT6 ethernet cable with 4 twisted pairs only two used which are separeted down the length of the cable. Still have to wait and see if it holds out but it looks promising, i'll see what the score is tomorrow. CAT6 Cable RJ11 to RJ11

Here is my before stat with just the firmware upgrade This is from my modem via telnet on the mac

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 7720 Kbps, Downstream rate = 44268 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 7748 Kbps, Downstream rate = 35989 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963)
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate: 7720 kbps 44268 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power: - 3.4 dBm 11.0 dBm

Here is my after still with the firmware upgrade and now the DSL cable

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:    0
Max:    Upstream rate = 7604 Kbps, Downstream rate = 45276 Kbps
Path:    0, Upstream rate = 7615 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39017 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:       7604 kbps         45276 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:    -   3.6 dBm          11.0 dBm

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Important Note to All Replace Your DSL Cable!

What cable did you use, I can't find cat 6 with RJ11 connectors
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Hi i have put a link up to the shop in ebay that i got it from hope that helps
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 8

I bought some from ebay after posts on Thinkbroadband; and for me the result was a loss in speed.

Went on to (also unsuccessful) experiment with HG612 from which my line is still recovering: I may make a second experiment with the cable again soon.  I did find that routing the modem and standard cable to keep it better away from various mains bits (all in very messy area) helped a bit.

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Ah the modem hacking yes it is a pain only just remembered what a pain it was when i had to put the new firmware on it. i will continue to monitor the modem but from that stats before and after it looks great and i'm seeing the extra in line speed my IP Profile has gone up. Is it a case of the modem being reset i don't think so as i spent most of yesterday resting my router trying to get the new firmware uploaded. Lucky for me DLM don't kick in 🙂 as for this DSL cable i just pulled the power for the modem and ran the wire the same as the standard DSL cable. PS i have another one on the way that is shielded from RF so i might try that out to see if it is any better than this though i'm not complaining but every little helps 😉

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 6 of 8

DeanM what did you edit? I was asked a question hence the link to ebay where i got the cable from.

On another note what i was thinking about is would i gain anything by moving the modem down stairs next to the window where the phone cable comes into the house. Then run the Ethernet cable up stairs to a 5 port switcher then connect my two routers to it seen as VDSL is so susceptible to cable length

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 8

@Enigma123 wrote:

DeanM what did you edit? I was asked a question hence the link to ebay where i got the cable from.

On another note what i was thinking about is would i gain anything by moving the modem down stairs next to the window where the phone cable comes into the house. Then run the Ethernet cable up stairs to a 5 port switcher then connect my two routers to it seen as VDSL is so susceptible to cable length

E-commerce links to third party websites aren't allowed I'm afraid. If you must link to another online shop, what I would do is list the full name of the product from the site which can then be stuck into a Google search.

I would also highly recommend keeping the OR modem as close to the master socket as possible. Once you have the incoming connection terminated it shouldn't really matter what length of cable you have behind it (up to 100m) as long as it's CAT5e/CAT6 quality.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Ok thanks for that Dean, i was thinking exactly that. My modem is located upstairs its a fair bit of length on the cable ie on the VDSL side i think if i run Ethernet side from the modem to upstairs instead of the current VDSL side, I will see my connection the fastest speed it could possible get.

0 Ratings