Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlienatedCargo
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

Improve speed

Go to solution

Hi,

I moved to a new home around 2 months ago and was given the estimated figure from BT. Its within range of what I was quoted (17-25mb min of 13mb), but only just. At the old home (on a different exchange) I was getting 50/20mb as I was quite close to the cabinet. The new house is now 17/1mb. While this is fine (OK its taking some getting used to!) I am still paying a fair old amount for infinity while getting a very slower speed. 

My question is, based on the line length should I be able to achieve more than the 17mb? We do a fair bit of downloading/online gaming and movie streaming (netflix and the like) so any improvement is worth while. 

Last disconnect was to move the router for decorating but its usually quite stable.  I have to run DSL check via address as phone number is still not recognised (was installed on 17/09/2018). Would ADSL2+ at 12mb be that much different to VDSL considering we are paying £55 a month? Huge saving to be had if we aren't going to notice much difference! 

homeBB.PNG

DSLcapture.PNG

Thanks 

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 25

Re: Improve speed

Go to solution

See here :-

Table of FTTC speed against distance from the street cabinet
Distance from the street cabinet (km)FTTC fibre broadband connection speed (Mbps)
0 Ratings
AlienatedCargo
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Hi, I'm not 100% of my distance from the street cabinet or indeed where the street cabinet even is! Not lived there long and not noticed once on my travels around the estate. 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

are you using the test socket with a new filter even if you have a filtered master socket to see if that improves your connection  once connected to test socket repost stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AlienatedCargo
Beginner
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

Hi, I'm not connected to test socket but I am using a new filter and have a socket that doesn't have the screws to open (just clips either side). I've tried test socket previously and get around the same speeds. I can try the test socket when I home but I don't have any other extensions in the house. Router and phone plugged into master socket via filter. 

I found my approx cab location using https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk and I'm not too far away from it depending on the cable route.  I'm in Alwyn close area on the map. Exchange is the other green dot. 

cabloc.PNG 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

as you can see from information posted by @pompey1898 fibre connection speed drops off very quickly as distance from cab increases   unless you have overhead cable allthe way from cab, which is unlikely, then you cannot tell the true line length

if you have a new filtered master which unclips at the side then there is no requirement to use a filter

if you can connect to test socket with a filter then repost hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

I've located your cabinet on street view but can't find the exchange, the telecom-tarrifs website is not very accurate when it comes to locations. I suspect you are further from the cab in terms of cable length than you think. Just guessing, but I expect the cable goes via Bournmoor and MoorCt to reach you. As you are on an Huawei cabinet, it is possible DLM will reduce your SNRM to 3dB which will give you a small increase in speed. As far as ADSL speed is concerned, until you try it your speed will be a bit of an unknown quantity, only you can decide how much reduction you can cope with to save the cost of FTTC. You wouldn't be able to downgrade without penalty until your contract term is up in any case.

0 Ratings
AlienatedCargo
Beginner
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

The socket I have is an NTE5C with only one port in so needs a filter as the router RJ11 wouldn't fit direct into face place. 

I'll grab the results from test socket this evening. 

Yes I figured it would take that route around MoorCt. I think the exchange is the white building just off lambton lane along from the cabinet maybe? I was guessing using maps etc and it says around 800m so I would say maybe 1km although judging from my current speed I'm going to say its closer to 2km 😞 The DLM reduction may help if thats possible? ADSL I think is going to be too much of a drop going on line length I don't think I will see 12mb or even half of that? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

although distance from exchange is what counts for adsl it does provide a better speed over longer distance than fibre so dslchecker is probably a good estimate

AlienatedCargo
Beginner
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

interesting, I didn't know that thanks. My contract is up next month so may look into both if the DLM option doesn't work. 

How do I go about getting DLM to adjust the SNRM. Guessing OR will charge for a visit as theres no faults present? 

0 Ratings