Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 7

Improving our broadband help

Hi Everyone,

In the BT Digital Help team, we’ve been looking at how we can help you solve broadband connection problems more easily online.

We’ve just launched our new step-by-step journey based content which we hope will make things easier.

Fix a broadband connection problem

Why we made a change

We know from talking to you that you find some of our broadband connection help content hard to search for and understand.

You’ve told us that you want clear and specific information that you can follow to fix your connection issues quickly and easily. Our new content tackles this by: 

• providing all the key information you need in clear steps in one journey flow
  • giving you information based only on the criteria you select e.g a specific hub

Next steps and feedback

Our initial monitoring results show that people are finding the new content easier to use and need less additional help to fix issues after following the steps.

We’ll be progressing work to incorporate our service status checking tool directly into the content journey.

We’re also going to continue to improve the content based on your feedback.

Please try our new fix your broadband connection help and let us know what you think.

Cheers

Sean

6 REPLIES 6
Neilf2
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Improving our broadband help

Hi I think the main problem appears to be your bt smart hub 2 cannot cope with the speed from the 900 gbs unless it is directly linked via an Ethernet cable I.e the Wi-fi from the hub to a device is always going to be significantly less than expected BUT BT can say that the hub is getting the estimated minimum speed. Personally I think although not deliberate is very misleading as in today’s world many people connect their devices via Wi-fi and not via Ethernet and this is not made clear in any of the literature or advertisements 

0 Ratings
Neilf2
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Making this clear would help significantly in helping people understand why the broad is slower than expected
0 Ratings
spile
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

The fact that Wi-fi is over promised but fails to deliver is common to most manufacturers.  Wired will always be quicker and more reliable than Wi-fi regardless of manufacturer.

cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Broadband and communications technology is moving forward at pace and people’s expectations and knowledge move alongside it. Some of BT’s equipment lags behind what is available on the open market, take not being able to split the Wi-Fi on the HH2 as an example. A lot of the issues appearing on these forums can only be overcome by using non BT equipment but BT are seemingly not prepared to advise on these issues. Whilst you cannot be expected to have in depth knowledge of every piece of equipment your customers use it may help if you just say our equipment is not compatible rather than suggesting the opposite. Some people want technical answers to technical issues and those answers should come from BT technicians rather than relying on other customers to provide them.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Neilf2,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community.

I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre 900, take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

Ethernet should ensure you get the maximum possible speed but I also appreciate that connecting this way is not always possible.

I myself am not yet in an area with Full Fibre, I get speeds of around 11Mb, although I can't complain really as I do leave quite rural.  I have to suffice with looking at Cows and Sheep from my living room window instead of enjoying UHD content being streamed to my TV ☹️    I live in hope though.

Cheers

Sean

Neilf2
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Sean I accept what you say however if that had been explained to me by BT when I purchased the package and when the open reach guy fitted the new fibre line then I would have made two different choices

firstly I would not have gone for the 900GBs package as there appears no point because I cannot get speeds anywhere near that via Wi-fi with BT kit and so I would have gone for either the 300GBs or 500GBs options

secondly i would have had the fibre box put on the other side of the house which would have meant having an ugly black cable going across the wall but I would have been able to directly connect my sky box and tv to the router instead of now having to connect via Wi-fi . The open reach engineer didn’t say anything about this when he gave me the option 

0 Ratings