cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

In dispair with Broadband and Smart Hub 2 problem for over a month

Hi All

Long story short

I have had a fault on my broadband connection since the first week in June , it keeps on dropping completely and the router reboots itself sometimes every 10 mins sometimes a day with nearly no problem. The connection drops and hub flashes purple then orange and it take a few mins and everything is back. I work from home. My son also works from home 3 days a week. I have spoken to the faults department on many occasions since then starting on 8th June.

I have had the problem initially "fixed" over the phone resetting and changing wifi settings and moving disks etc. But it didn't solve it so rang back for engineer.

Engineer 18th June

I had an engineer visit on 18th June. They found a problem in the road with poor connection and said it was "fixed", reterminated cable all old aluminium. 

I then rang again as the problem was still there and was promised a "Special" engineer who fixes this kind of problem booked on Wednesday 30 June. The special engineer never turned up. 

Next I got an engineer booked  for Wednesday 7th July.

Engineer said line was perfect and it was hub. He said text him if issue still occurred. He literally only looked for 5 mins and the problem didn't occur while he was there. He really didn't want to know.

Fitted new hub Monday 12th issue was worse than before drops line constantly. Really couldn't work Monday and Tuesday.

Contacted engineer. He said to not bother complaining as no BT engineer would be able to fix it and all engineers would say the same as him. He said he was saving me the aggravation.

Phoned BT and got an engineer for today (14th).

Typically line was good while he was here. He said he reset the fibre ports and if that didn’t work we need new fibre ports. The line has dropped multiple times that I noticed since he left.

However suddenly this afternoon all 3 complete wifi discs have stopped connecting to the new hub. BT IP phone will also not connect to Hub.

I factory reset and reconnected hubs but they will not work. I have already done this when I got the new Hub and they were working perfectly till this afternoon so don't understand problem.

I phoned BT and explained and the tech help said they could see the Disks but didn't understand why they couldn't connect. They tried wifi reset and they said they needed to send a home engineer.

Next date is 20th July for internal connections but line still bad.

Worst of all they say they had to close previous fault (not repaired yet) to get the home engineer.

I'm pulling my hair out. What can I do. It's dropped twice while posting this and now I have pretty poor wifi around the house too.

Can anyone help on anything, James

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: In dispair with Broadband and Smart Hub 2 problem for over a month

All the engineers are talking total nonsense, if your hub is turning purple you clearly have a line fault that they are not fixing. Probably because you have aluminium cable and it falls into the 'too hard' box.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

So do I just keep ringing the help line. Today it was fine for most of the day and it is now literally cutting out every 3 mins or less I just have to wait so long for the next engineer each time.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Unfortunately you need an engineer visit to fix it. If they don't fix it at the next visit, post back and we'll see if the mods can help.

Is there any noise on the line with a quiet line test 17070, preferably done with a corded phone.

Can you post your hub stats Advanced settings > Technical log > information

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

Hi licquorice (Distinguished Sage), very nice of you to reply.

Info below, I don't have a land line phone to test line as I chose the IP phone option as part of package and old one was broken, there is only one socket on this line for the internet only with a master socket 5C open reach mk4 on it changed at the visit before last.

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+1852007935

Firmware version:v0.27.06.04290-BT

Firmware updated:Mon Jul 12 12:07:56 2021

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.74 12_11_2020

DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours38 Mins16 Secs

Data rate:12.76 Mbps / 55.289 Mbps

Maximum data rate:14.003 Mbps / 69.004 Mbps

Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:Off

Noise margin:6.0 / 6.2

Line attenuation:9.1 / 18.6

Signal attenuation:9.1 / 20.3

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:163.3 MB Uploaded  / 218.1 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-CRA238

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-CRA238

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:44:FE:3B:F8:F3:90

Software variant:-

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

I have moved you to the correct board as you have Fibre broadband rather than standard ADSL broadband. With an analogue line broadband problems can often be identified by a noisy line but if you have Digital Voice it isn't possible.

Your line speed has been reduced by DLM due to the line drops. I'm afraid its a case of waiting for the engineer to fix the fault.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Many thanks Liquorice, sorry my misunderstanding of types of connection. I don't mind too much about speeds slowing down as that will fix itself if I can just get a stable connection as some days or times of day I just can't work. It's constant rebooting. I have another line into the house but they said that one was dodgy at the time this system was set up. I will try and source a phone to do the line test. Thanks for the help. Do you think if I delete the disks off the hub and then try to set them up again they might start connecting? Next engineer coming is for the inside but I really want to carry on chasing the line repair. Apparently one fault has to be open at a time so I have to wait for the home engineer first.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

The Home engineer will try to fix the disc problem for you. They will do nothing else, only Openreach engineers can work on your line.

Begs the question why an Openreach engineer saying "He said to not bother complaining as no BT engineer would be able to fix it." BT don't have engineers.

Home engineers are contracted by BT from Qube.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

Hi Liquorice yes he was open reach he told me to text him if hub didn't fix fault. It was me saying BT

IMG_0521.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

Hi @AnotherJames 

Welcome to the BT Community and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry for the connection problems you're having with your broadband and for the length of time this has been going on.  I can definitely understand why you're frustrated as I would feel the same.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie