cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Inconsistent Speed across devices

I have the Full Fibre 100 with BT Halo 3 which is supposed to ensure a normal download speed of 150 with minimums of 100 and an upload speed of 30 but I'm finding the speed to wildly inconsistent different wired devices, On a PC I'm getting download speeds of around 70-90 and Uploads of around 25 which is somewhat close to the minimum but on consoles I'm sometimes getting download speeds of 5 and uploads of around 1 or 2 which is far below what I should be getting and both of these devices are wired to the router so they should be somewhat similar but what makes it stranger is that when I check the speed on BT it claims that I'm getting around 130 download speed and 30 upload which I don't seem to be getting on either device, I've tried disconnecting the internet and turning it back on but the internet speeds seem to be the same even after this I'm unsure as to the reason for this inconsistency across devices especially when they are both plugged it and sometimes it fluctuates too going from really quick to really low speeds over a few minutes. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Inconsistent Speed across devices

Hi @Joshua2 welcome to the community and thanks for posting. From personal experience, I've never seen an accurate speed test on a games console PS4 and now PS5. They always seem to fluctuate and vary wildly from my actual speed when I do them myself.  If you do a quick google search you'll see that this seems to be a common issue with the consoles or the server they connect to rather than your own broadband connection.

The BT speed test measures the speed accurately from the network to your Hub and that's the result that I'd recommend you go by as that's what your hub is getting. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

The issue is that from my experience the console test does seem to be somewhat accurate as it tends to match the download speed and I face lots of lag on all online apps and games which really shouldn't be happening with the speeds the BT test says I have and since this seems to occur on all games and apps I don't think it's simply an issue with one game or apps server
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Joshua2 What ping time are you getting?

Are the consoles connected directly to the Hub via ethernet and not using powerline adapters or ethernet switches? I've seen these cause problems before.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Ping tends to be around 20 but sometimes fluctuates to over 100 and the consoles are connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable
0 Ratings