cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

Increased first hop latency

Since early last week the latency on the connection has doubled to ~18ms, and the exchange/remote end of the connection keeps being dropped. I didn't bother to do any digging to establish where this was happening due to reading about the cable theft in London affecting several BT customers, however last night I decided to take a look at what is happening. It seems that the first hop address from my router is consistently responding in the 18ms range, I spoke with the 1st line tech support yesterday evening and was asked to power cycle the requipment, as the guy suggested there had been 'maintenance' and that must have cause, I didn't think this was a likely explanation, but you never know, in anycase, we cycled the connection and the gentleman on the telephone mentioned he'd change the profile and that it should be sorted out 'within the next 24hrs'. So today nothing has changed the latency is still up around the 18ms figure, I decided to give the tech support another chance, and was told after the person trying to get me to cycle the connection again that all their tests suggest that there is nothing wrong with their equipment from exhange to master socket, and it must be something with my machine. Twice I was asked to check on the btwholesale.com speed checker site, which gave me figures or 30-50ms for latency and 30-40 download, 10-15 upload. Both of which are way below what the line should be running at, and have been running at before. Clearly if what the first gentleman said was true and there has been some 'maintenance' at the cabinet, it appears to have done more harm than good, I have prevously had to spend two weeks chasing BT to get the linecard changed in the street cabinet as it was malfunctioning as few months back. Any input at this stage would be appreciated.
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Increased first hop latency

Bumping for formatting:

Since early last week the latency on the connection has doubled to ~18ms, and the exchange/remote end of the connection keeps being dropped. I didn't bother to do any digging to establish where this was happening due to reading about the cable theft in London affecting several BT customers, however last night I decided to take a look at what is happening.

It seems that the first hop address from my router is consistently responding in the 18ms range, I spoke with the 1st line tech support yesterday evening and was asked to power cycle the requipment, as the guy suggested there had been 'maintenance' and that must have cause, I didn't think this was a likely explanation, but you never know, in anycase, we cycled the connection and the gentleman on the telephone mentioned he'd change the profile and that it should be sorted out 'within the next 24hrs'.

So today nothing has changed the latency is still up around the 18ms figure, I decided to give the tech support another chance, and was told after the person trying to get me to cycle the connection again that all their tests suggest that there is nothing wrong with their equipment from exhange to master socket, and it must be something with my machine.

Twice I was asked to check on the btwholesale.com speed checker site, which gave me figures or 30-50ms for latency and 30-40 download, 10-15 upload. Both of which are way below what the line should be running at, and have been running at before. Clearly if what the first gentleman said was true and there has been some 'maintenance' at the cabinet, it appears to have done more harm than good, I have prevously had to spend two weeks chasing BT to get the linecard changed in the street cabinet as it was malfunctioning as few months back. Any input at this stage would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

Hi

The most likely reason your speed has dropped is because of a noise /crosstalk issue this has caused the DLM to reduce your IP profile to stabilise the line all also interleaving  would  have turned on possibly a  its maximum depth  you need to do is leave the connection alone for up to 2 weeks and once the DLM see the line as stable again it should start to rise again

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Hi John, Thanks for the reply, although the connection speed has dropped below the usual speed it's more the latency that's popped up out of nowhere that I'm more concerned about to be truthful.

Added to the fact that the exchange/cabinet appears to have been disconnecting the call more frequently than I'd expect in the last couple of weeks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 25

Interleaving will increase your latency, just as you have found.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

have you tried the quiet line test dial 17170 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call also if the connection is dropping when a voice call is being taken that sounds like a High Resistance joint and also needs reporting as a voice fault
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

When my service disappeared in October last year I checked the line for noise etc, but since then I've not had reason to.

I guess it can't really hurt to check it out and see if anything has changed in the last few months.

I'll have to go through the logs of the last week to check what time of day that calls have been dropped, but I'll say that to my knowledge it's not happened in the evenings when I've been using my desktop. Receiving voice calls doesn't affect the connection so far as I'm aware

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

So i was called by BT Tech support on Sunday to ask whether the connection was any better which it was not.

I was advised that the incident will be escalated to  '2nd line' and maybe I'll get a call today.

I spent a few minutes going through some logs yesterday and it appears that the calls are being dropped in the very early mornings, between 3-5am it's obvious there is an issue somewhere as there were several drops within 10 minutes of each other last week, previous to that the line has been relatively stable.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

As I expected there was no call from the 2nd line network team yesterday it seems my incident has been temporarily forgotten about.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 25

On wednesday I spoke with the options team to check whether any traffic management was applied to my connection and if so have it removed, the gentleman I spoke with saw that there was the fault on my connection and asked me about what had been happening.

He asked whether my connection was 'slow' which of course due to the latency on the first hop it is - as a consequence some applications are misbehaving which I also explained to him.

I was told that the fault had been escalated/passed to OpenReach/BT Wholesale and one of their teams are currently disgnosiing it, and that I would get an update on Monday 10th March.

Once the current fault has been cleared and the connection is behaving as expected, the traffic management will then be removed. It appears that if the traffic management was removed while there is a fault this could cause further problems for the connection.

So we will see what happens on Monday.

0 Ratings