Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stompa
Contributor
Message 11 of 13

Re: Infinity 1 Engineer Installation

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The data extension kit is simply a thin 30 Metre RJ11 to RJ11 cable which you can buy yourself if you wish.

One end is designed to plug into an SSFP

newnte.jpg

And the other end terminates on a RJ11 wall socket within 30 Metres of the master socket.

I am not sure what the current "engineer install" involves, but they used to change any existing master socket for an SSFP, and run the data extension cable to wherever was practical.

You may find that if you want a neater job to hide any cabling, it would be better to run the cable yourself.

If you have a standard master socket like this.

nte.jpg

Then there is an advantage in changing it for a filtered faceplate, provided you are going to run a data extension cable.

A filtered socket will prevent the broadband signal from going up the extension wiring and picking up interference, but you will need the separate data extension cable.

If its all working fine on ADSL, with the maximum speed available, then I would see what speed  you get when you upgrade.

If its not what you expected, then you can change the faceplate yourself, and run your own data extension cable.

A suitable faceplate would be one of these.

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

OK thanks, I understand that. So the data extension kit is for broadband only, and not phone. I currently have my phone plugged in to the extension socket upstairs along with my router. So essentially I would need to keep my existing extension cable for the phone only and add a separate cable and socket for the data.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 13

If you need your phone upstairs, as it not an additional handset working off a base station plugged in downstairs, then you may as well leave things as they are.

You may gain a bit of speed on both ADSL and VDSL, if you remove the bellwire, as described on this page.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

0 Ratings
Stompa
Contributor
Message 13 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

If you need your phone upstairs, as it not an additional handset working off a base station plugged in downstairs, then you may as well leave things as they are.

You may gain a bit of speed on both ADSL and VDSL, if you remove the bellwire, as described on this page.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

My base station is plugged in upstairs (at the end of the extension) because the master socket position is not very convenient. It's located at the bottom of the stairs, where other 'stuff' would tend to get in the way. Similarly the router is located upstairs, firstly because it has a wired connection to a couple of PCs there, and secondly because I prefer it to be adjacent to the PC so I can more easily keep an eye on it.

My bellwire is already disconnected. Thanks for the advice.

0 Ratings