On the 16th on January I swapped to a 3rd party router in the hope that it would be connected for longer and my speed might stabilise higher; it stayed connected for long durations, but I went back to the HH6 (at the end of last month) as the actual sync speed did not increase once. Since the start of all this the speed dropped to 25.00 Mbps and has not budged once since then (half my max line speed), even though I left it to do its own thing and did not perform any disconnects/restarts. I notice that the upload sync speed is changing fine, but the download is still the same even after being connected for long periods between drops.
The below screen shot is of my HH6 as I write this; the connection time is low because I performed the first manual restart I've done since reconnecting the HH6 just to see if it would change anything. As you can see I'm not getting anywhere near the speed I should be. We're told that DLM will sort itself out and to just wait for the speed to increase, but in my case that has not worked.
I hope someone can do something, thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
do you know what caused the DLM to take action to stabilise your connection? were you getting constant drops in connection or performing manual resets to see if you could get faster speed or both
as your connection time is low due to manual reset we cannot see how long the connection has been stable
is there any line noise dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone
enter phone number and post results https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Before Christmas I had some Openreach engineers out to replace a faulty section of phone cable outside the property which lead to a complete loss of phone and Internet connectivity. Since then the line has been fine; not had any losses of connection during the day or usage. After the DLM was reset by the engineer then, the speed was anywhere between 41-48 Mbps for a couple weeks.
On the same day I connected the 3rd party router on the 16th of Jan I also replaced a low quality, and very old, flat standard phone cable connecting the router to the master socket with a shielded Cat5e cable connecting directly between them (VDSL faceplate is on). The speed was a bit higher right before all this and the sync speed dropped a couple bands of 2.5 Mbps or so that same day to the 25 Mbps I've been stuck with since.
At this point the only problem I haven't been able to deal with is a supposed bridge tap on my line, which I'm convinced is outside my property.
Here are some other screenshots to help show how long the banding has been going on.
1 week later, nothing's changed as expected...
I'm going to keep taking screen captures and record any line drops, but as you can see, they aren't a common occurrence.
That's it been two weeks now without a drop, and for whatever reason the line dropped this morning on the 14th day and came back at 25meg again. My patience for this is wearing very thin. BT conveniently don't offer DLM resets unless you have an engineer out and they fix something; what exactly is he supposed to fix when everything seems to be working fine except the DLM.
The smart hub is connected directly to my master socket (and VDSL faceplate) by a single shielded cat 5e cable with no wall sockets or breaks in between. The only thing I could possibly do is cut off the RJ11 end and put another one on, but with the line being so solid, as I've shown, I don't think it'll help.
How long am I supposed to wait before it can be confirmed that DLM isn't doing its job properly?
From yesterday morning:
From this morning:
do you normally find your hub resets after 14 days - many people do - or was it just a standard reset and nothing to do with the '14 day' reset
interesting the speed shown in logs when internet restarted is 50mb (50376)
As asked previously but ignored. Any noise on your line? 17070 option 2, best with corded phone.
Hi there, this morning I checked the speed again and it's gone up to 44 meg (1st time this year I've seen it that high), so hopefully it's just a case of the DLM taking a really long time to work and it stays above 40 now. I guess I'll just mark this as solved and see how things go for a while.
BT would save themselves a lot of headaches if they provided more feedback to customers about the DLM process affecting their connection; it's the lack information that leads people to assume the worst and get irate.
Anyway, thanks for your time and hopefully I won't need to make any more threads for a while. 🙂
From my experiences with BT they give very inconsistent information about DLM when you call them. I'm not even sure they're aware tbh.