cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Infinity 1 Slow As Normal ADSL Since Switching - Getting Nowhere With BT Customer Services !

I would be very grateful for some help.

We moved to Infinity 1 about three weeks ago after being quoted download speeds of between 21-30Mb - approx double or more than our normal ADSL service.

Since the switch, it has been nothing but a hassle. Download speeds are no better than before we switched to fibre (getting approx 12Mb).

We have had two engineers out - 1st was because on switchover day the phone went dead (no dial tone) and no broadband, then the voice element was fixed later that week but still no broadband !

After contacting BT again, the broadband then got switched back on (apparently it had been put in the wrong socket), but has never got past the pre-fibre speeds. Another engineer came out again, said he'd fixed a bit of line noise between us and the exchange and to wait a few days, although he didn't think it would make much difference (he was right), and advised me to contact BT again if things hadn't improved.

Contacted BT again who did another line test and said they would send another engineer out - he never turned up !

Contacted BT again who offered no real apology about the engineer never arriving (took morning off work), but said he had raised the issue to Level 2 and I would be contacted within 48 hours - no contact at all in that time or since then ! 

So at the moment I am paying a lot more money for Infinity 1, yet getting no better than my normal ADSL before we switched. Hindsight is great, but I only switched because of the promised increased in speeds, which have not happened.

This is the reason I have decided to ask for help on this forum. Thank you in advance for your time.

Product Name:

HomeHub5

Serial number:

+076284+1513007607

Firmware version:

v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]

Board version:

VDSL uptime:

0 days, 10:36:08

Data Rate:

1296 / 12497

Maximum Data Rate:

1296 / 19022

Noise Margin:

6.9 / 7.3

Line Attenuation:

0.0 / 29.7

Signal Attenuation:

0.0 / 0.0

BBSpeed.JPGBBSpeed2.JPG

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Infinity 1 Slow As Normal ADSL Since Switching - Getting Nowhere With BT Customer Services !

are you using the test socket with a new filter or did engineer fit a new master socket - SSFP?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Re: Infinity 1 Slow As Normal ADSL Since Switching - Getting Nowhere With BT Customer Services !

Connect things up as shown below, and see if you get a better connection speed.

Image1.jpg

markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks. I have done all of that with the BT engineer, etc, but it made no difference.

He even fitted a new BT MK3 faceplate.

Quiet line test seems ok.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

noise margin is slightly higher than normal 6db but if no line noise on quiet line then doesn't seem a line problem

you can try going back to customer services and get another engineer visit but a boost engineer this time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Just a bit of an update. Managed to get another engineer out. He said at the top of our road he was getting 30Mb download speed, but down our lane of approx 200m to me the speed drops more than 50%, but he was unsure as to why, as all the lines seem ok.

He is wondering whether REINS (electrical interference) is partly to blame as he could see some packet losses, but nothing major. My nearest neighbour near the top of the road is getting 20Mb on infinity, she is approx 100m from me, so something is definitely amiss from the top of our road to me, as the 30Mb speed at the top of the road has dropped 10mb to get to her and a further approx 7MB to get to me?

Apparently, BT are now getting a REINS engineer to look into this? Does this sound feasible or is it just clutching at straws? Personally, I feel it's more to do with the line quality down our street that is degrading for some reason from the main road where 30Mb is available..

I have also been monitoring my line with DSL stats ovedr the last two days. I am getting some quite big variations in SNR margin, with some sudden peaks / troughs throughout the day. I have enclosed 3 pictures. Do these margins look OK or should they be more like the green upload lines which seem constant?

Thank you for your continued help.dsl2.JPGDSL3.JPGDSL.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Your D/L SNR margins shouldn't be all over the place like that, the graph should look pretty much the same as the U/L

0 Ratings
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I didn't think they should be, but was it causing these big fluctuations?

0 Ratings
markie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Can anyone tell me how I go about contacting a mod to help me with my issue?

This issue has been going on for nearly a month and doesn't seem any closer to being resolved.

BT scheduled another engineer visit for yesterday, took time off work, but they never showed up !! This is the second time this has happened now and it is very unprofessional.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

you need to get another engineer visit and see if that can solve the problem  if after an engineer visit and still no progress the mods may be able to help - probably result in another engineer visit

0 Ratings