Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ir0n_jaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

[Infinity 1] Terrible speed from midday to midnight #2

Go to solution

I'm another person who came across this after browsing the net trying to see if anyone else had the same issue. I'm in Maidstone (also Kent) and have exactly the same issue. I'm syncing at around 55/10 mbps but in the evenings I get around 13mbps tops, but it goes up and down.

I work in IT myself and my connection was rock solid until 4 days ago. Troubleshooting includes:

• An isolation test
  • A spare VDSL router
  • Connected to the test socket
  • Change of various cables (just in case lol)

Nothing has made any difference. My next thought was contention also, however - contention has NEVER been an issue before with my previous BT Infinity connection. I was with BT before a 1 year hiatus when I left to join Sky and only recently moved back.

Keep plugging away and hopefully we can all get this properly looked at.

Regards

D

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: [Infinity 1] Terrible speed from midday to midnight #2

Go to solution

Hi @ir0n_jaw and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the connection. I'm sure we can help with this. can you confirm whcih exchange you're on? Can you try running the speed test, including the further diagnostics when you see the connection slowing and post the results?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ir0n_jaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you so much David. I'm on the Wateringbury Exchange in Kent.

It's only slow in the evenings, in the morning its fine (~50mbps), then slows down and into the evening I'm well below 10mbps.

Right now (1.15pm) I'm tracking at 50.81 mbps down, 8.53 up and ping latency of 43.19.

Further diagnostics return:

Capture.JPG

Last night however, when testing with BT customer support I got (and forgive the screenshot I took with my phone!):

IMG_2284.JPG

11mbps was quite high actually, it tended to fluctuate below that even though I only had one single device attached to the router through an ethernet connection.

Note that I've tried another router already, tested in the master socket, reset my router to factory defaults, changed RJ11 and RJ45 cables also for good measure!

Any help and assurance would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
are the tests done with a wired connection
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming that @ir0n_jaw.

I'm assuming that you have a fault open if you're testing when in contact with the tech support guys. If that's the case you'll need to run another test, including the further diagnostics, when the connection is slow as that will write back to wholesale servers and confirm a problem. Tech help should be able to contact wholesale to get that progressed for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ir0n_jaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you David.

Yes I do have a fault open but... putting it pragmatically.... they're very focussed on normal consumer issues and lack technical knowledge. I did all of the testing online with a tech support representative last night and the initial diagnosis was that I needed a new hub - even though I'd already mentioned that I tested a spare VDSL router with exactly the same outcome. Therefore their next suggestion is an engineer visit booked in for Friday during the day, when everything works fine anyway :). I know I need to go through the process, but it's quite frustrating as you can probably imagine.

To the other moderator - yes I did use a wired connection, fresh cables (RJ11 & RJ45), plugged the router into the main test socket, removed all other devices, unplugged phone, reset router to factory defaults, quite line test, speed test etc. I'm an IT professional of nearly 20 years and tried everything I can think of to rule out it being an internal issue.

Appreciate the help guys.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
I am not a moderator just a BT Customer like yourself
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for posting @ir0n_jaw.

I can appreciate how frustrating this must be. My guess would be capacity at the exchange but I can run a few checks to confirm that either way. Can you drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile. We're very busy at present so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit your details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Nujol
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I'm confused as to why this post was separated out of the thread that I was posting in, and then this person seems to be being given more help and support?  Maybe I missed something?  Thank you.  

0 Ratings
ir0n_jaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

I've not been given any more help I think buddy, I'm at the back of the moderator's inbox queue now, patiently waiting.

You've still got the same problem I assume? By way of an update, this evening's speed test/diagnostic results as expected:

26Sept1.PNG

26Sept2.PNG

0 Ratings