Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BruceWayne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 37

[Infinity 1] Terrible speed from midday to midnight

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I'm a french student in the uk, please forgive me for my poor english. 

I've recently subscribed to the BT Infinity 1 broadband, but I couldn't help but notice that the speed drops dramatically during the day.

The synchronization is ok, at 55mbps, stable.

But the real download speed goes from ~50mbps (on the bt speedtest) in the early morning to ~15/20 around midday and ~1/3mbps during the evening, which is really inconvenient...

Here are some speedtests :

At around 20pm :

At around 21pm, test number 3, having changed the broadband username by speedtest@speedtest_domain

I contacted the hotline, where I found some nice people who really wanted to help, it seems.

They told me to unscrew the wall socket, to plug myself on the test plug in order for them to complete their tests.

They even planned a visit from an engineer, but sadly, as I expected, he couldn't do anything since the synchronization was alright. 

It seems to me I have a problem with the "cabinet", and, from reading other messages here, that I would need to be changed over to a new equipment in the exchange by OpenReach, a "lift and shift".

What should I do now?

(Edit : My exchange appears to be "NDCAN", I'm in Canterbury. )

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Nicolas

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Nujol
Contributor
Message 2 of 37

Re: [Infinity 1] Terrible speed from midday to midnight

Go to solution

Hi BruceWayne, well would you believe it I am also from Canterbury and looking in this thread due to the exact same problem!

Up until 3 weeks ago I was on Sky Broadband (not Fibre) and consistently had 12mbps downstream.

Now on BT Infinity 1, allegedly 52mbps but shockingly and regularly dropping to 1-3mbps e.g. right now (3pm on a Saturday).

I did a speed test via BT a week or so ago, the next day it was fine so I dropped it when they called me... but surprise surprise back to 3mbps just now.

Expecting to watch the football in HD at 5:30pm let's see how that works out... 

Any ideas anyone on the Canterbury exchange... clearly this is not just one person if both of us report it on consecutive days??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution

are you using wired or wireless connection

can you run btspeedtster diagnostic test with wired conenctiion and post results when speed ok and when poor

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BruceWayne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

imjolly> Yep, i was using a wired connection for both of the tests i put the results screenshots in my first post. I'm a computer engineer so i'd figured this would be the first thing the hotline would want to try. 😉

I'll try to post a "good" result tomorrow morning, but I can already tell you the speed in the early morning is totally fine and gives about 50mbp/s, I've tested it several times. 

Nujol>  If it's indeed an exchange congestion problem, it must happens to a lot of people, but few of them will notice/think of this/think of posting online instead of calling the hotline/think of posting here. Sadly it seems i can't edit the title anymore, to add "[Canterbury]" in it... =x

Let's hope that a moderator will see this and be able to help us with this problem. 😃

0 Ratings
BruceWayne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

So, as promised, here's a "good" speedtest :

Sunday 25th of september, at 7:45am :

I'll try to post others during the day to see the evolution. 😃

0 Ratings
Nujol
Contributor
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution
Thanks for posting all this. I too have a wired connection have tried with the hub connected to the master socket etc etc Not so familiar with posting speed test results on line but I have very similar results.

Fortunately my viewing of the football in HD via IPTV service was unaffected no issues at all with watching it.

But speed test results appalling in the same way.
0 Ratings
BruceWayne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

And this one at 5pm, very poor speed, even on a sunday =/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution
Classic congestion issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Nujol
Contributor
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

So does anyone know anything about our exchange... after less than a month on BT "Infinity" in the evenings my speed test results are consistently just one-quarter of the results I was getting when on "normal" Sky Broadband.

Surely this is a failure to provide the service paid for??

Just did another speedtest, 4.15mbps down, 9.41mbps up.

Presumably I can apply to BT for a refund for as I am not receiving the service that I signed up to... Seriously, speeds that are only 25-33% of what I was getting with "normal" Sky Broadband...?  Corroborated by another user on the same exchange... I'm on "Cabinet 52" by the way BruceWayne.

0 Ratings
Nujol
Contributor
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

Further info

Just had what I would describe as an absolutely pointless chat and then phone conversation with the Broadband Complaints department.

I was repeatedly quoted the "sync speed" of 48mps which apparently means BT are providing me with the service I have offered.  End of story.  "You're getting a 48mbps connection speed sir I can see it here"...!

However apparently "bandwidth issues" are completely out of BT's hands and if lots of other people are using the internet at the same time and so my speed drops to just 3mbps per second - well that's fine according to the broadband/technical complaints department.

The discussion went around and around in circles and it was just ridiculous, constantly quoting the "sync speed" at me, despite me having the hub in the master socket, a direct ethernet connection to my laptop and the appalling speeds in the evenings (but super-fast early in the morning!), telling me that it was because I had "lots of device connected to the hub and the bandwidth was being shared between them" - despite me turning off wireless and having only my laptop connected.

Even told me that it must be a faulty hub and that it should be replaced - even though downstream speeds are fine at 5am but dreadful at 5pm.

It was VERY frustrating, I've read horror stories of BT customer service but now I've experienced it myself.  He kept saying "What do you want me to do about it.." to which I gave sensible answers such as - apologise that for a brand new customer I am getting such appalling speeds, allow me to switch back to my copper-based Sky service that was 12mbps consistently day and night,... but nothing doing, apparently there's fees because it's a 12 month contract!!  I suggested that I should get a refund for all the days that the evening service has been way below expectations - this was virtually scoffed at!

I've only been a customer for 2 weeks and 6 days and originally reported the appalling evening speeds IIRC 10 days after joining!

I see from other threads that I am not the only person either in Canterbury or accross the country to suffer a 95% speed drop from first thing in the morning to the evening - sure I would expect a little drop but 95% is totally unacceptable - it's a third of the speed that I was getting with non-Fibre.

I am hoping that someone at BT who deals with these matters from this forum will pick this up in the morning as I am frustrated to say the least (I have PM'd the very kind person who sorted out the failure of the engineer to install the Ultra HD box correctly - that got sorted at least).

Maybe it's just me but if the service can deliver a download speed of 48mbps at 6am, it would be reasonable to expect that it would be faster than 3-4mbps at 6pm (especially given that on my previous copper-based product I got 12mbps 24/7).

0 Ratings