Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

Infinity 1 connection information request

Go to solution

Would someone please let me know what the top end connection is for Infinity 1?  BT site mentions 52 speed, BT when I rang today said for my area if I drop down to Infinity 1 its 55000 (I think 55 would be the connection and not the speed).

I've recontracted for 2 years on Infinity 2 which starts 23rd December, but I could recontract on Infinity 1 and save another £4.50 a month, not much but it's still a saving. I've 14 days to decide.

Since 7th October it appears that I have been put into a band on Infinity 2 anyway, as I have been connected since then at exactly 62000 line rate downstream. Since I can hit more than the maximum for Infinity 1, if the line rate is about 55 max for Infinity 1, then there is hardly any difference, so saving a little bit each month may be well worth it for me.

62000 is around the max I will ever see on Infinity 2 with the distance to the cabinet, so would I notice a huge drop if moving down to Infinity, assuming it would connect me at the top end of Infinity 1 and not stick me lower down?

I'm not into gaming, just normal internet use, streaming live TV etc from the likes of Netflix, NowTV...

Any advice appreciated.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Infinity 1 connection information request

Go to solution

It is a sync speed of 55Mbps which gives an approximate download speed of 52Mbps after allowing for overheads. You will see no difference whatsoever in dropping from 62M to 55M.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

If all you do is normal Internet,stream TV, Netfix etc Infinity 1 would be more than enough for your needs as long as you got above 15Mbps.

I do not have Infinity, I am on ADSL with a top speed of 15Mbps and I can do all of the above without problem including streaming online movies and catch up TV to two different TV's at the same time. 

In answer to your question about Infinity1 It is sold as a 55/10 package. That is connection speed. Most people who can get the top speed would probably only see 52Mbps because of the overheads etc.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks to the above replies.

Connection at the moment is 62000 down and 11049 up from my modem stats. The attainable rate is about the same, so currently connected top end of what my line can handle.

Speedtest shows just over 58.00Mbps for download and 9.57Mbps for up, so speed is around 4 less down and 1.5 up.

Top end Infinity 1 based on connection, I could well see about 51Mbps down and maybe 8.50Mbps up give or take, so if it's only 7-8Mbps less for the download, I may as well save some money 🙂

Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Just phoned BT to cancel the new Infinity 2 renewal.

They've put a cancel in, but said you can't do an Infinity 1 recontract until the cancel goes through, so I've got to ring back Tuesday now to put in a request for an Infinity 1 2 year renewal lol - ahhhh never straight forward with BT, so hopefully when I ring back, the woman will have cancelled this 2 year renewal today...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Why is everything so difficult!! Much easier in the days of pencil and paper. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Don't want to worry you but I hope they don't cancel your broadband in its entirety and not just the order you made.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

I'll ring them back. The woman did say she'd cancel my renewal and it would go back to what it had been before. My line rental doesn't run out until 19th Feb 2017, it's just the Infinity 2 which runs out on 24th December.

0 Ratings
DRMAGUIRE
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Thats because they could not think of a way to charge you for your pencil and paper

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Just a quick update.

I had recontracted last Friday again for Infinity 2, this time a 2 year contract. I rang to cancel as I was going to drop down to Infinity 1 and I was told to ring back Monday when the cancellation went through. I rang back, told to ring back Tuesday, rang back yesterday only to be told the cancellation would not go through until midnight and to ring back today.

Rang back today, cancellation still not gone through.

In the meantime I had found out that if Infinity 1 was slower than expected and if I went back up to Infinity 2 again, the price I was given for a 2 year contract would not be the same as it was now, if going back up from Infinity 1 (confused lol)

To cut a long story short, rather than complicate things, I have deicded to stick with Infinity 2 and recontract for 2 years with BT, at least that way the discount offered remains if BT up their prices at any time.

Now what seems odd is that the options team told me the cancellation has gone through, but they cannot recontract me, they have said someone will ring within 5 working days as it has to go through manually...? No idea if this is correct?

Hopefully someone will ring from BT within the next 5 days, as if I ring back and find out that the new order for a renewal of 2 years has not gone through, I will not be happy 😞  Surely trying to recontract should not be this difficult, I am keeping everything the same as it is now. The options team were even trying to charge me more than offered for anytime calls until I pointed this out to them.

Would a moderator reading this please confirm to me if BT do ring customers back when recontracting, or if it is something the options team could have done but just didn't want to do?

As long as I manage to recontract for the price offered I'll be happy and then can sit back and enjoy Infinity 2 for another couple of years before going through the same process once again...

Thanks,

Craig

0 Ratings