cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 261 of 322

Re: Infinity 1 speed cap increase

Depends if the poster is talking about sync or throughput. 35-37meg throughput WOULD mean they were most likely syncing at 40meg.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 262 of 322

Many thanks for the replies!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 263 of 322

"You can always check it out at: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/"

Be aware that won't show the downstream sync speed (40, 55, 80) that the poster was asking about.
It shows the data throughput and IP profile both of which will always be a bit lower than the sync speed for technical reasons.
Highlighted
Pongo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 264 of 322

I'm still within my first year after signing up for Infinity 1, and am paying £10 a month for the first 12 months.  I just rang, and was told that to get the upgrade I not only have to sign up for another 12 months, but I also lose the existing discount that still has another 8 months to go.  So this upgrade would cost me an extra £120 (8x £15 extra), plus I'd have to stay for another 4 months at full price.

Hopefully they'll get a bit more sensible and upgrade everyone at some point, but for now it's not a sensible option.  It's not very clever PR to actually annoy people with an upgrade in this way.

Ah well, 40Mb is plenty fast enough, but now it seems slow!

0 Ratings
Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 265 of 322

Pongo wrote:

Ah well, 40Mb is plenty fast enough, but now it seems slow!

Think of it another way - is there anything you're doing on the internet now, that needs the extra 15Mbps you'll get from the speed upgrade? All I can think of for me, is that my downloads will finish slightly faster. 38Mbps is more than good enough for my streaming video needs.

I enter the last 3-months of my broadband contract this October, and hopefully I'll move to the new service then as well as, again hopefully, getting a discount for the broadband part of my BT package. Though, I'm quite happy with 38Mbps for the time being.

0 Ratings
L3
Aspiring Expert
Message 266 of 322

now just seen advert on tv upto 52meg
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 267 of 322

Imagine that. Its on BT's website, where ever next. Smiley Wink

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/infinity-broadband

0 Ratings
Pongo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 268 of 322

I'd have been happy to commit to another 12 months, so would have ended up paying for another 4 months at full price.  That would have been worth it.  But not losing the existing discount for the next 8 months too - that's just a stupid price to ask.

I was with NTL/Virgin for years, and have never known them to upgrade only new customers.  Often the first I knew of an upgrade was when my speed increased - there was none of this performance and nonsense.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 269 of 322

OK, Ive read through 13 pages of a thread thats 27 pages plus and mainly see a lot of squabbling so dont intend going through the rest.

So, can someone possibly answer my question regarding this Infinity 1 speed increase compared to Infinity 2 please?

Im on Infinity 2. According to speedtest, for the first 2 years of Inf 2, i was hitting 54-56mb download speed regularly. Around September 13 the DL speed started to dip to 50mb probably as my local cabinet got more connections into it (yes, I know the experts say each cabinet is rated to handle 200 odd connections but cross talk interference is going to have some effect) and has stayed at 50mb with the very occassional 54mb or 56mb ever since.

If I now drop down to the new higher speed Inf 1, am I likely to still get my current speed of 50mb or am I more likely to see this drop down to mid 40's ie if Im currently getting say 70% of max Inf 2 speed, will I only get 70% of the max new Inf 1 speed if I change?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 270 of 322

Can you post the connection stats from the router please?

It doesn't work like the 70% scenario you've stated. If say you're connected at 58meg on Infinity 2 then you'd get the full 55meg connection rate on the new Infinity 1 package.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings