Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 271 of 322

Re: Infinity 1 speed cap increase

@curiousfellow wrote:

If I now drop down to the new higher speed Inf 1, am I likely to still get my current speed of 50mb or am I more likely to see this drop down to mid 40's ie if Im currently getting say 70% of max Inf 2 speed, will I only get 70% of the max new Inf 1 speed if I change?

You'll still get whatever your line is capable of up to 52M i.e 50M, there is no pro-rata speed difference between Infinity 1 and Infinity 2, it is just a software cap.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 272 of 322

Thanks for the reply.

So, unless BT find a way to increase the max DL speed I can get via Inf 2 (which I seriously doubt) Im going to be as well off if I now drop down to Inf 1 and save a tenner a month by the sound of it.

0 Ratings
Pongo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 273 of 322

Yes, correct.

Infinity 1 and 2 are the same technology.  The only difference is that 1 has a lower speed limit imposed on it.

As a lot of lines are capable of around 50-odd Mb, a lot of people will be in the same boat.  Even those getting 60-odd might want to think about a downgrade.

The reality for many is probably that they won't know or care, so they'll keep paying for "the best" service.

I got a leaflet through my door telling me I can get 52Mb Infinity 1 for £10 a month, even for existing customers.  So BT are making absolutely no sense now.  It doesn't include any calls though, and doesn't say whether it's limited or unlimited.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 274 of 322

Incredible marketing nonsense that! Just how bliddy hard is it to get a joined up promotion out there? Obviously far too hard for the people at BT. They should be sacked, the lot of them for the fiasco.

Ive just been onto them to ask if they'll be contacting me when my current deal ends. 'oh no, you have to contact us' they said. Strange, they've always contacted me before.Maybe they dont care about retentions and prefer to work their butts off getting 'new' customers instead?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 275 of 322

The £10 Infinity 1 offer is surely just for new BT Broadband customers (they might be existing BT Phone or BT Sport or BT Mobile customers). It's also just for the 25GB allowance and comes with no included calls. The full price is £21 and the £11 discount only lasts for 12 months.

I wouldn't expect BT to offer that £10 deal to existing customers re-contracting. The web pages for new BT broadband customers and for existing BT broadband customers show the different standard offers. If you contact Customer Options you can haggle for a slightly better deal if re-contracting BT broadband.
0 Ratings
Montala
Aspiring Expert
Message 276 of 322

@umpire wrote:
.... If you contact Customer Options you can haggle for a slightly better deal if re-contracting BT broadband.

I am sure they are fully aware though that customers (like myself!) who have only been able to achieve a download speed of 1 or 2 Mbps for goodness knows how many years are going to bite their hand of for the option of 52 Mbps!

The most they would offer me (even though I did seriously threaten to leave BT altogether!) was £2 off their published £25 per month tariff for unlimited broadband on Infinity 1, with the promise of a further reduction when I next renew my contract!

Mind you, I am also getting £3.20 per month of my BT TV, which does help a bit I suppose!

While writing I do have to say that my 'upgrade' went very smoothly indeed, with loads of phone calls, texts and emails from BT, thanking me for upgrading, and assuring me that everything was 'on track'... which indeed it was! 🙂

I now enjoy a 51.38 measured download speed, which I think I can just about live with! 😉

Pongo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 277 of 322

I don't think BT are any better or worse than any other ISP - they're all as bad, offering amazing deals for new customers and a rip-off for existing ones.

They seem to be making an especially bad job of this though.  They should be trying to kep existing customers happy enough to want to stay, not attempting to force them into being tied in for another 12 months.  They could perhaps get better retention from giving everyone the upgrade (and making everyone happy) than they're likely to get from people actually knowing about it, then bothering to switch and being happy to lose any existing discounts, then staying longer as a result.

As I said before, I've never known this situation before - where a given package is upgraded, with the same name, for new customers but not existing ones.  I don't think Virgin Media have ever done this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 278 of 322

If I remember rightly Infinity 1 was only up to 20Mbps some years back. They increased the frequency range to the current profile 17a and we're able to double the max Infinity speeds up to the current 40 and 80. Not sure if BT handled that the same way regarding re-contracting etc.

Maybe they should have called the new 55/10 package Infinity 1.5 ? 🙂

BT do a similar thing when they make changes to TV packages. If you want to go onto the latest TV package that might have superceded yours at a similar price you have to re-contract.
0 Ratings
L3
Aspiring Expert
Message 279 of 322

hi all, is it worth me upgrading to infinity 1 52 this is what I currently get

Current Rate (Kbps)8612 39998
Max Rate (Kbps)8356 52626

thoughts please
thank you
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 280 of 322

Entirely up to you, you should get the max 52M if you do upgrade. I upgraded and got a price reduction, so you might as well if you can do the same.

0 Ratings