cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim775
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Infinity 1 speed problem.

Checked BT availability checker and saw the available Infinity speeds for my local exchange/distribution box:

Slide2.PNG

Had the service installed on 8 April and speed slower than expected. Did a speed test showing 14Mb dl/0.39 Mb ul. Did the diagnostics that day and got the following result:

Slide1.PNG

Gave it a couple of days to settle then called support in India who said there was a network fault and made an appointment with an engineer for today. The Openreach guy arrived, did basic line tests and said the line was ok. He offered the opinion that as I’m a long way (approx 700yards) from the distribution box,  that I should raise another problem report so that they might be able to adjust the UL line speed but at this distance, that might be as good as it gets

Checking the router stats I see the max UL/DL data rate is 455K/156232 but the noise margin appears better in the UL than the DL..

Slide3.PNG

My question is, with this line attenuation and noise margin, can I expect better or is this as good as it gets.

Does anybody have comparable attenuation/noise margin figures and and what are your data rates like?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Infinity 1 speed problem.

The distance from the cabinet to your house will affect the speed you will get. See graph. Infinity is VDSL2.

Was your estimate a phone line estimate or a Post Code estimate? If it was a phone line check you could push BT to try and improve the speed because you are not within the lowest estimated speed of 20Mbps.

fttn-speed-graph.gif

tim775
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Infinity 1 speed problem.

After visit from Broadband boost engineer who again verified the data rate is poor and that my distance from the distribution box is 1.2Km as measured by his jdsu test set. He verified that the data rate at the distribution box was 40Mb dl and therefore there's something degrading the performance over the line, even though the line tests out ok.

I've cancelled the infinity and gone back to the adsl.....

0 Ratings