cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Infinity 2 - Slower Speeds than advertised

Hi all, I've been using a FTTC BT Infintiy 2 service for the past few months and on average I would get around 56 Mbps Down and around 15-20 Up depending on the time of day etc

However over the past couple of days, its dropped to around 40 / 13 respecitvely. I know thats still a good speed buts not what Im used to not what I am paying for.

Here's what the BT website says I can get : checked 21-1-2017 at 10:50 AM:

Speeds.JPG

I currently have the BT Smart Hub connected upstairs which I'm fairly sure is not a master socket ( I know the issues with this) but as mentioned since installation the speeds were 56 /15-20  respectively.

Here's what I get now :

From the speedtest.net site :

Current.JPG

This clearly shows that I'm not getting A. What I pay for and B. What I had been getting previously.

Here's a couple of grabs the hub itself which I feel are relevent:

Hub1.JPGHub2.JPG

I am no expert by any means, but it looks like my downstream / upstream values have been changed, resulting in an overall lower speed?

This is all the fallout of reporting an issue to BT with the smart hub wanting to disconnect, flash orange and go back to blue frequently over a period of around 24 hours, when it had been fine since installation.

The guy on the phone kindly talked me through a few things, popped me on hold, came back and said it was fixed and now the hub has pretty much remained a steady blue, with only a 2 or 3 instances of it going flashing orange then blue since he carried out whatever work he did.

Once I noticed my speeds were lower than I was used to, I've contacted BT again who seem to want to insist its an issue with my equipment, my house internal cabling etc and cant seem to give me a straight answer as to why its dropped all of a sudden.

At time of writing this I am waiting for a call back from the "Extended Help Team" which was meant to be between 10-12 Today (Currently 11:17 AM)

Hopefully someone here can give me some guidance on the issue.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Infinity 2 - Slower Speeds than advertised

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

@JD_VW_2032Looks like you have had a line fault which has been cleared but caused DLM to intervene on your line as a result. If you keep a stable connection, your speed should return to previous values as DLM does its stuff. This may take weeks rather than days though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Hi thanks, please see screen shots as mentioned

Test1.JPGTest2.JPGTest3.JPG

I am rather concerned that it seems to state my maximum speed is now 39.89, as I can 100% gurantee that I have achieved speeds of around 50-60.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

No, from your hub stats posted earlier your max speed is showing at 68M. The speedtest figure is just the max download speed to expect with your current sync speed. As you sync speed improves, so will your download speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

@licquorice Hi, please excuse my ignorance with this, but that does seem more positive!

Long story short - Working great at the speeds mentioned until Thursday Night / Friday when my smart hub would frequently seem to switch off, the light would flash orange for a minute or 2 then return to blue, this happend every hour or so until I called the BT tech support number on Friday morning.

The guy on the phone said that there was some form of fault, kept me on hold, mentioned something about some work needing doing at the cabinet.

After that my smart hub has stayed pretty much consistently blue but at a much slower speed that I am used to!

I dont watch it like a hawk, but its maybe had 1 or 2 instances of going orange then back to blue after speaking to the BT tech team over the phone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

That was probably DLM re-syncing the hub. Hopefully you will have a number of re-syncs as DLM restores your speed in increments. The engineer should really have performed a DLM reset after fixing your fault though. Keep an eye on your hub stats for the next few days.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Because of the disconnects DLM has lowered your speeds to maintain a stable connections. If the disconnections have stopped and your line is now stable, DLM will slowly start to increase your speeds back to the best stable connection. This can take a few weeks so do not expect it to happen over night.

See link about DLM

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

If on the other hand there is still a fault on your line and it keeps disconnecting DLM will not raise the speeds because it will still see the fault and still want to maintain a stable connection and the only way of doing that is to lower the speeds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

@licquorice Ok I will keep an eye on it, should I be concerned when the lights change if its going to be changing itself then?

I won't actively switch it off or restart it, but as mentioned it does seem to have an occasional moment where I loose internet connectivty, flashes orange which the manual tells me "The hub is connecting to broadband" then returns to the blue that I am used to seeing!

If its going to get back to what it was over the next few days then great! but if not, I need something to go back to BT with as it often feels like im pulling teeth with the support reps!

Can I assume this DLM is what monitors and controls the speed? The guy on the phone didnt mention it directly or anything about a DLM reset.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Very basically yes, DLM  monitors and can control the speed in certain conditions. If you have a read through the link I posted it explains in more depth what DLM is and what it does.

0 Ratings