Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Infinity 2 Speed Reducing

Go to solution

I had Infinity 2 installed on 22/9/16. Solid 72+Mbps Download and 18.5Mbps Upload as reported by my SamKnows Monitoring Dashboard (been runnnig their harware on my previous line for > 2years.).

I use a TP-Link Archer VR900 Modem Router in preference to the supplied HH6.

On 14/12/2016 monitoring shows that my Download speed dropped down to 69Mbps and stayed there: Upload unaffected.

On 20/12/2016 monitoring showed Download dropped to 57Mbps and has stayed there: this time Upload too dropped to 16Mbps.

BT Broadband Availability Checker shows that my line should support >70 Mbps Down and 20Mbps up. 

Stranegely my router shows the VDSL Connection synched at 76Mbps Down and 20Mbps Upload.

Spokent to BT Tech Support and they ran tests on my line which was OK.

Wholesale Test confirms speed as 57Mbps  Down and 15 Up.

Anyone got any explaantion as to why my speed should drop off by 15Mbps after nealry 2 months of use? Been a BT Infinity 2 user at my previous address for 2 years and never had any such issue.

Are BT Wholesale throtlting Infinity 2 bandwidth due to lack of backhaul bandwith to the exchange that the FTTC DSLAM is on? 

There is really no point in having Infinity 2 now that the bandwidth on Infinifty has been lifted

Here are the images to illustrate:Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 16.13.41.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-24 at 16.13.05.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-24 at 16.09.50.png

kickmaleerie.png

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Infinity 2 Speed Reducing

Go to solution

Probably just congestion.

Please remove the phone number from the image you posted.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for flagging that @Keith_Beddoe.

I've edited the picture to remove it.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Are the download speeds from a wired or wireless connection.

Your speed will not be deliberately throttled, but may be as a consequence of congestion in the backhaul.

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Wired. The SamKnows equipment that runs the test suite is plugged into one of the 1Gbps ports on the modem/router. The BT Wholesale results are from a wired connection

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Would you expect congestion to be 24/7? And why start on a particular date an persist?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Totally guessing here, but it could be due to a fault on one VP and all traffic has been routed on another until the fault is fixed and traffic can be balanced again.

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Would you be referring to what is termed a HOT VP at the exchage? In which case judgng by others who have had this issue I and had to deal with BT Wholesale I may consider leaving the country!

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Solved. The culprit was DECT Phones.

Suddenly recalled that I had connected our two BT Studio Plus DECT phones around the 14th.  The DECT base unit was not connected on the Master Socket (a MK3) outlet but on an extension in the lounge, this being 2016 and UK builders now having caught up to the 1990s and installed two telephone extensions!Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 20.32.06.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-24 at 20.39.30.png

Anyway below is the proof the 17:00 and 19:00 metrics show the Download back to 72Mbps and the Upload to 18,5 Mbps once I had powered these off! Don;t know why this is the case as the monitoring is done via a Cat5e to a 1Gbps port on the router and not over WiFi.

Thoughts anyone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

That extension should have been wired to the filtered side of the master socket, then the problem would not have occured.

The fact that the extension is connected to the wrong place, is going to have an affect on the performance of your connection, so it mat be worth disconnecting it, or rewiring it to the back of the master socket bottom plate, which is filtered.

See below

extensions.jpg

0 Ratings