cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Expert
Message 401 of 425

Re: Infinity 2: Speeds drop heavy in evenings?

Go to solution
It would probably be beneficial if everyone with problems raised a separate specific thread naming their exchange rather than jumping on the bandwagon.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 402 of 425

Go to solution

Hi SeanD

Yes the exec complaints team are deailing with but I took a very frustrating call. Wholesale still no claim no issue and what's worse cannot see evidence of my further diagnostics test ran at 21:43 last night which proved the issue. I am not running the tap3 test again. I changed the username but it didn't work, all it did was knock everything off the internet. Plus I had to reboot my router and set all our devices up with new FTP addresses etc, etc Am not prepared to try that again seeing the grief it caused. Running the further diagnostics step 2 test as I did should be plenty enough evidence for wholesale to work with. Perhaps they need to try testing things and analysing during an evening rather than look at it daytime when it will of course be fine. Its clear there is a bandwidth issue with BT. Whatever happened on Thurs 21 March has taken turn for the worse. Very frustrated.

Thanks,.

Wayne

0 Ratings
Message 403 of 425

Go to solution

it seems the "tech department team" read from books to solve your probs.

Its allways everyone elses fault BT can never do anything wrong.

i run a house with say 4 devices on wifi (ipads and a TV) and 2 connections on eth0 and was with a company called BeThere/BeUnlimited which at the time i got 18mb downstream and 1.5mb upstream, now we could run the lot and get no problems with buffering etc, this is with the TV in main room streaming a HD channel, the Desktop (eth0) streaming SkyGo, an Xbox360 on (eth0) plus whatever the ipads are doing and me surfing the net allso on Desktop... all this on a 24mb line but i was hitting 18mb....... Now i kept hearing of this super fast fibre optic talk from BT ,we done the whole line test and yes the service is A1 during the day (when everyones at work), the problem is at around 8 pm to 12 my line drops from 74mb to a blistering 8mb and at worst ive caught it at 4mb, my upstream is A ok (funny that)... i can understand dropping to 50 or at worse 45mb while running what i run but as i said at the start of this post i ran my network on a 24mb line which actualy i was hitting 18mb and no buffering,drop outs,glitching of any sort....personaly i think they throtle their lines cos my upstream dont get touched 😉

if i had 1 word to sum BT up with it would be.. BUFFERING ! !

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 404 of 425

Go to solution

Yeah mine was better last night. But I am going to keep an eye on it as I think it was just a light day on the congestion and will be back. But I totally agree, with BT wholesale it's always somebody elses issue. So basically every speedtester in the globe is slow is it? And they all suddenly stop being congested at exactly the same time? Yeah right! Also the BT wholesale test (which has been slow for me on occassions) is a total load of garbage - it is a false reading. HTTPx6 which I suspect it uses remains fast (and they keep the wholesale test neatly within their own framework) but TBBx1 downloads are suffering and seeing as this seems to be the most common form of data coming in things are not good. Long and short is there is congestion in the evening and it's related to BT wholesale - I am not too technical but it's down to them. I suspect BT vision is gobbling up bandwidth or they are just plain overselling. Something for me went south on Mar 21st and it's been very unpredictable in the evening ever since. I agree with you, I am not lucky enough to be close to a cabinet or have fibre to premises so I accept 35-40 mbits is what I get, but what I don't accept is this speed being cut in half again due to congestion. Maybe I can accept dropping a few mbits to say 30 in the evening. I don't want to hog bandwidth but I do want the speed if and when I choose to use my internet connection 24/7 & not to have to be truly happy with my service only if I am prepared to stay up past midnight ( I have to work too BT!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The moderators here are very good and the exec level complaints team have been courteous. But they are messengers, stuck in the middle. Basically BT wholesale play god and if they can't be bothered and/or have delusions that 'all is fine' then that's it. Nobody can suggest to them otherwise. They are not client facing and basically hide behind the support areas. I am extremely frustrated with them. I suspect they analyse and test during daytime when of course things looks dandy - try getting involved in evening analysis. Or better still actually enter the exchange which I heard go unmanned for days/weeks at a time. SeanD's post about the recent problem showed that everything appeared ok to BT when everyone knows it wasnt and it took some unravelling. So I put it to wholesale that the same is happening at Ingrebourne exchange perhaps - it appears ok but in reality it isn't! Some of my neighbours agree the evening fluctuations and inconsistenty exist too.

I am sorry, I am ranting but am very frustrated. At this moment I cannot comprehend recommending BT to anyone. Shame I need to have BT line for my burglar alarm or else I would of tried virgin. I wouldn't move to another broadband provider because at the end of the day they all use BT's lines anyway so would still be at the mercy of BT wholesale. Of course if they sort things out I will feel differently but it's gone on too long for me to think it will and I have had some very dissapointing responses fed back to me via support (originating from wholesale)

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 405 of 425

Go to solution
I forgot to say, yes I am same as you - my upload never waivers. Funny yes! I don't know if it's congestion or throttling - I suspect a combo of both. Why would a HTTPx6 test be so fast yet a TBBX1 at least half as slow. That would suggest throttling to me!
0 Ratings
Message 406 of 425

Go to solution

They can see what devices are connected to your network but cant tell u anything about what packets are being sent over your network because that is a seperate department and they will only look at your network if your doing dodgy stuff on their line (laughable).

They go on about speedtest.net not being as good as the BT SpeedTest/Diagnostics Tool but yet when the tech told me to close down everything on my network apart from the Desktop eth0 and run the BT Tool i got a worse result than speedtest (again laughable), then when i asked to submit the results the BT tool found , he told me would i let him in my pc to check certain things to do with Windows Settings ? i was like what are u smoking , he then said until i let him do this he cant submit the result because he thought my windows update was taking the bandwidth ? (i was laughing at him by this point), he then started to talk to me like i didnt really know much about software/operating systems / networking until i mentioned that windows was just 1 of my installs and did he know of a distro called Kali Linux , he said yes so i asked him did he think i would be messing with such a distro if i was an average user, he said no, i said well then lets goto linux and do some tests, he goes no they dont support linux ( I WONDER WHY ).

i forgot to mention that when telling me to goto the BT wholesale site he said to me ok mr x can u put in your browser www.  , i was like who puts www. in any browser these days ? (from then i knew he wasnt no tech guy)

The only way people will fix these issues with their lines is to have an out of hours engineer come out to diagnose the problem but its going to cost u money if they find nothing wrong with your line.(will they fix the line at the time just before the test takes place to give a good result then when engineer leaves it drops again ? ) who knows what BT are playing at.

*facepalm @ BT

0 Ratings
Guyver1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 407 of 425

Go to solution
How strange, last night around 2100hrs the Internet was fine and I thought it was all fixed. Then around an hour ago I did a speed test and got great speeds, now I'm getting dial up speeds again. BT were supposed to call yesterday, seems they did call an when my son answered the phone they disconnected the call. It's not even worth phoning them to complain anymore as they obviously don't give a **bleep**, I've spoken to ofcom who have advised to put it in writing to themselves and BT, then they can help me cancel my contract as I'm not being tied into for another 12 months. Very disappointed with BT.
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 408 of 425

Go to solution
Mods, please can you apply pressure with these cases. Guyvers plight is ridiculous, that is not acceptable. Personally this is becoming highly infuriating. The wholesale test reports 37 mbits tonight but the reality is there is slowdown - various speedtests, various file download sources all inconsistent tonight. All relating to port 8095 traffic. This is a bt issue at exchange or backhaul. I am getting nowhere with the exec complaints team and am also considering getting ofcom involved. I am not prepared to lose almost half my speed most evenings. Sonething happened on thurs 21 march. This is fact and never recovered properly. Wholesale and the exec complaints team seem to think I am making this up and all is fine - I am fed up running speedtests, emailing etc. there is an issue whether it's congestion or shaping and it must be addressed.

Thanks
Wayne (Scottyboy99)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jr_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 409 of 425

Go to solution

Well ive been back and forth with a complaints team and all they say is "well it wasnt a problem with our service, it must be your wireless connection." I was using ethernet the whole time and explained this on several occasions.

Now having worked for BT previously, this is a whole new level of "scripting" and Ive even asked for a deadlock letter from BT complaints to take this to the Ombudman Service in conjuction with OfCom (a requirement for an independent adjuicator and should be provided without refusal by law) but apparently they do not know what one is either.

This is actually becoming a legal matter when a big company like BT cant follow basic ombudsman requirements and also breach of consumer rights.

Whats more amusing is the extract you hold in your complaints policy - straight quotation from it

"If you’re still not happy having followed the process explained above, and we’ve sent you a ‘deadlock’ letter 

or eight weeks have passed since you complained, you can refer your complaint to Ombudsman Services:
Communications."

Yet I cant actually seem to get a deadlock letter, this needs resolving, there was clearly an issue with the Fibre Network across the board (and im not just talking about BT) and customers deserve at minimal a reduction of their bill for the timescale involved. We pay for a service, and the service recieved wasnt within acceptable limits for that time period.

How would you like it if your bank suddenly said you cant use your card for a week unless it was between the hours of 1am and 6am (bad analogy but you get my drift), you would go nuts, this is no different.

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 410 of 425

Go to solution

Completely agree with everyone. Whilst my speeds (despite what the Wholesale Speedtest often says) are not dropping to the levels of some people I find the fact that most evenings at various time periods I am losing over half my throughput. Anything using a HTTPx6 throughput seems for the most part unaffected (although even this side has slowed on occassions) but TBBx1 throughput is all over the place. For a short time it might be ok and then it will seriously slow from anywhere between 5-20 mbits. Outside of the evening the throughput is a consistent 36-37 mbits. There is congestion (and possibly shaping) without doubt. I stand by this being a bandwidth issue at the exchange or cabinet or something to do with BT's backhaul. Wholesale continue to claim no issue, that is not the case. For 3 years my throughput was consistent, ever since Mar 21 it's been prone to slowdown. BT wholesale has done something, I reckon an issue or overselling the product and not providing suitable bandwidth to cope. It is their issue, not the rest of the internet or all the servers all around the country or globe. Everything suddenly improves all at once anywhere between 10.30 and midnight - the whole globe just doesn't stop using the net all at once. Process of deduction - BT the issue!!!!

The exec complaints team are not helping (actually ignoring my emails at the moment - if I don't receive a response today I will be sure they are trying to brush things under the carpet), wholesale are being aloof and arrogantly claiming no issue. This is getting beyond a joke.

0 Ratings