cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Infinity 2 Troubles.

As in a banded profile your connection speed is probably unchanged but see jf your line stability improves using the test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
RJ414i
Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Hello All,

So after three+ days with no disconnections i have put the master socket back together and put the HH6 back near the television (for BT TV + BT Sport on the new YouView box). There have been no disconnections with the HH there for a further 2+ days, thou i did change an old filter just to be on the safe side.

One thing I did notice ( in hindsight ) when connecting to the Master Socket which is in the loft,  was that the face plate didn't seem particularly tightly screwed up!

The HH is now back near the TV ( wired from the Master socket in Cat 5 cable years ago ( i'm a qualified Electrician)) so that the YouView box could work again for BT TV, BT Sport, Iplayer and Now TV.

My gut feeling is that the Master Socket faceplate tightness was causing a problem???

Many Thanks

P.S Please can  my speed be cranked back up Mr / Mrs Moderator?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

I really don't think the tightness of the master sockets screws would affect your internet connection

can you post new stats from router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

What can happen, is that the contacts between the front and back of the master socket, can get oxidised, and the very act of plugging it in and out, breaks it down.

This is quite likely in a loft.

I have seen that myself on my ADSL connection, so what I do now is to give it a spray of Servisol Super 10 contact cleaner, and that fixes it 100%.

In fact any good electrical contact cleaning solution would work, so it may be worth a try if you have problems again.

Its usually worse if you hardly use your phone to make and receive calls.

RJ414i
Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Hi, But if the circuit is broken / or poor connection then the router is not getting a 'clean' connection?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

@RJ414i wrote:
Hi, But if the circuit is broken / or poor connection then the router is not getting a 'clean' connection?
Thanks

What actually happens is that a poor connection, distorts the signal coming from the cabinet. It can also generate addition frequencies which reduce the overall  availibility.This will reduce the actual speed.

Remember that we are dealing with radio frequencies extending up to 17MHz. They are easily upset by a high resistance connection.

RJ414i
Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Like I mentioned before, the faceplate wasn't screwed up tightly so it would act as a poor connection?
This must have been from an Openreach bod years ago because I never touch it.
Any chance of a speed boost?
0 Ratings
RJ414i
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ73989439

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

31-Oct-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

3 Days, 2 Hours 53 Minutes 1 Seconds

Data rate:

17.00 Mbps / 49.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

29094 / 76769

Noise margin:

13.8 dB / 13.5 dB

Line attenuation:

14.1 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

555 MB Uploaded / 13643 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-ZMTW

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-ZMTW

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

58:90:43:F8:5D:60

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
RJ414i
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Hello All,
Almost 6 more days without a disconnection. Looking more like the 'loose' faceplate as the days pass.
Any chance of a speed increase please?
Thanks
0 Ratings
RJ414i
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Hi,

This thread seems to have died so will have to contact BT by phone to get try and get the speed increased back to my original 78Mbps infinity 2 contract not Infinity 1 like i'm on at the moment!

Any idea what Sky Broadband is like?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings