cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tonester3224
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Infinity 2 Unlimited- speed reduced at peak times to 5Mbps from steady 62Mbps at all other times

Go to solution

Hi. For years I have had a great connection at 62Mbps down, 18Mbps up rock steady with BT Infinity 2 Unlimited - Fibre to Cabinet, which is only about 500 Meters away at the most.

Over the last 4 weeks, speeds start reducing at around 6pm to anything as low as 5 Mbps - 12 Mbps until about 11.30pm to 12 midnight when the speed then promply ramps up to the full 62 Mbps again. Same slow speeds at peak times at weekends, as low as 5Mbps. I usually have around 15 Mbps to 18 Mbps upload speed constantly throught the 24 hours of the day, although during the last BT wholesale test (shown below) it dropped to 13 Mbps. The upload speed doesnt normally change at peak times at all and the slowdown in speed occurs every day, day in day out.

Have spoken to level 1 and level 2 support in India. No help what so ever. They sent me a brand new HH5, as they had run out of ideas like reseting the hub blah blah blah - as expected this made no difference at all. So here I am, a month on, stuck, trying to sort this issue out. 

All tests done with WiFi turned off and one Win7 PC wired directly to HH5. HHr is wired directly into the top socket on the BT master socket, so the filter is inside the socket - no external filter. No telephones connected to the line either as I only use my mobile for calls, not the landline.

BT wholesale speed tests (of which I have many screenshots) confirm this:

Replaced Hub - 21.14 PM  21 03 16  6.71 Mbps.jpg

As you can see, line IP profile shows 64.78 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.

Router Stats are:

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076286+1524001888
3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 7 days, 20:31:51
6. Data Rate: 19999 / 66999
7. Maximum Data Rate: 23614 / 68249
8. Noise Margin: 15.1 / 6.4
9. Line Attenuation: 18.9 / 16.2
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 1.4 GB / 25.6 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-KGFS
15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Disabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-KGFS-5.0
19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

BT Broad band checker indicates the following results and speeds, which clearly I am not getting as the speed is falling even seriously well below the impacted 35 Mbps estimate.

BT Broadband Availability Speed Checker.jpg

Also, BT online Broadband checker shows me that I should get speeds of 60 - 79Mbps and 'should be accurate to within 1 or 2mb':

BT Broadband Availability Speed Checker.jpg

So based on this evidence I think my unlimited Infinity 2 has a problem - but according to India it is fine, all good and working to maximum capacity.

I am so frustrated over this as there is just no one to talk to at BT. If I had hair, I would have pulled it out by now.

Posting here is a last resort to see if anyone else has had similar problems, before I consider what my next course of action is.

Thanks for reading!

Tonester

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Infinity 2 Unlimited- speed reduced at peak times to 5Mbps from steady 62Mbps at all other times

Go to solution
Likely a hot VP. Will need moderator assistance
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Re: Infinity 2 Unlimited- speed reduced at peak times to 5Mbps from steady 62Mbps at all other times

Go to solution

Hi @tonester3224,

I think what @Webby has said is correct and its likely a capacity related fault impacting your service. I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
tonester3224
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks Webby for your reply.

I hadn't heard of 'hot VP' before ... thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.

Cheers.
0 Ratings
tonester3224
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Hi PaddyB - thanks for your post - I've sent my details as suggested [incident ref: 160322-*****] .... thanks for taking this up for me.

Cheers.

tonester3224

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
Just for future reference, the estimated speed ranges given by the BT Wholesale checker, the BT Consumer checker and the order confirmation actually relate to connection speed (data rate from the stats) and not data download throughput speed. The terminology used is often confusing.

Obviously though you would hope that there wouldn't be a massive difference as you are experiencing.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
"I should get speeds of 60 - 79Mbps and 'should be accurate to within 1 or 2mb':"

Your current connection speed is 66999Kbps, so the estimate is in fact accurate.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
Yes but the issue here is with throughput. It's easy for customers to not understand the difference, most likely because it's not clearly explained enough, that goes for pretty much every ISP's advertising.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
I agree. ISP's stating download/upload speeds on web pages and orders is a bit misleading if they don't strictly mean that.
The BT Wholesale checker I think actually says line speed if you look carefully so is correct.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution
Absolutely agree.

Most customers, like customers of a lot of things, just see the word "speed" though and don't know the difference between the two.
0 Ratings