In the Mac OS wirless is controlled in the system preferences by Airport. If you have a cable connection its best to have Airport off - which I do.
I could see my mac in the devices list, it said
did not mention speed though??!!
I have spoken to BT and they say they will do nothing - I am not sure how to escalate as they keep going back to the 12mbps rate - -aaarrrgghhhh!!!
I just used that BRAS checker on got these details on Infinity option 2 up to 80meg
This is a 21CN line.
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 40.83 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps
Exchange: ST AUSTELL (WWSAUS)
BT Recorded Line Length (m): 2579
Looks like my line length is low but my max download rate is very low for that lentgh, I'm gussing this probably means i'm not on copper all the way to cab or my line is generally rubbish lol.
Heres my BRAS info:
The Service ID is:
This is a 21CN line.
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 38.72 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 10 Mbps
Data For: 01617954315
Exchange: CHEETHAM HILL (MRCHE)
BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange (m): 4402
BE LLU: Activated
Real Error: Migration code required for this number
Dean78's profile looks as if he is clearly on Infinity2; it may be that waiting patiently, leaving the modem and disconnectding/reconnecting the router daily may gradually see an increase in speed.
Topham's looks as if it may be stuck on Infinity 1 somehow. Contact the mods: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951. They will probably take a few days to respond, but may well get you sorted.
I would suggest that you are all wasting your time. I have a similar problem with so called infinity 2. Agreed to extend my contract. No increase from Infinity 1 even although my estimated speed said there would be.
In short I think BT are selling something to some customers that they can not provide and the get out clause is if the speed is above 12 then it is deemed to be acceptable. It is a bit like buying a Ferrari and being told it is capable of doing 160 mph but if it only does 12 mph there is not a problem.
As soon as my contract is up I will be taking my custom to a company that can supply the service they are charging me for.