cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhumphris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Infinity 2 - but do I need an engineer?

I recently upgraded to Infinity 2 from Infinity 1 - i had a connection of just over 50mbps, but since joining Infinity 2, they have dropped (And stayed to 41.9mpbs and no change in upload speed (9.8mbps) - speaking to BT, they re-did the order, but it didn't change, and rebooted the hub multiple times with no luck.

However, the router (HH6) is maxed out on the data profile, so does my profile need updating rather than the engineer visiting, which he is doing next week?

BT min line speed was 67mbps, so just wondering if there is a remote software change that needs to happen rather than an engineers visit?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Infinity 2 - but do I need an engineer?

@mhumphris

Your line may not be able to support a higher speed.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Please post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

Which one of these matches your phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg or  newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
mhumphris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - currently not at home, so can't post the stats - will do later on - however, here is the phone results:

phone.jpg

I have the last socket (with Openreach written on it).

BT did confirm that my line could (form their checks) support the higher speed with a minimum of 67mpbs, hence why I upgraded, so hopefully it can 🙂

BT have said there is a fault restricting the speed, although I am not convinced, considering my speed on Infinity 1 and previously with Sky were much higher than what I am currently getting. The speed drop only happened once the upgrade to Infinity 2 happened. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Do you have any extensions that may be wired incorrectly, as they will affect your speed?

See diagram below for the correct wiring, anything else will give problems.

infinity_wiring2.jpg

You can easily prove it by removing the bottom section of the Openreach master socket. You should see any extension wiring connected to the back of that bottom section.

Also, when its removed, none of your extensions should have dial tone. If they do then you have "star" wiring, and this will restrict your connection speed.

Something else to check as well,

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

A noisy line will also reduce the speed.

0 Ratings
mhumphris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hi,

Never had a landline phone in the house, so only have this socket from which the router is connected. There is an extension which runs to the kitchen, but have never used it, but will see if I can disconnect it and if it makes a difference, as it isn't needed. 

I have an engineer booked in for Monday, so perhaps he can see if there is a fault somewhere, although I still feel that my profile is on the infinity 1, and not the infinity 2 because even infinity 1 was faster than 2 is at the moment 🙂

I was under the impression that the software caps the line, and re-adjusts remotely if there is a change from 1 to 2 ?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 12

@mhumphris wrote:

I was under the impression that the software caps the line, and re-adjusts remotely if there is a change from 1 to 2 ?

Correct, the results of the Furrther Diagnostics from the speed test will show if this has been done. The stats from the HH6 will helpwith diagnosis.

0 Ratings
mhumphris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi,

Here are the stats from the hub:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ63751247

Firmware version:

SG4B100021EC

Firmware updated:

12/05/16

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 12 Hours 23 Minutes 43 Seconds

Data rate:

10.67 kbps / 44.74 kbps

Maximum data rate:

10668 / 44741

Noise margin:

6.4 / 6.2

Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

28 MB Uploaded / 378 MB Downloaded

0 Ratings
mhumphris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Yes you are on Infinity 2
0 Ratings
mhumphris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

ok thanks - BT are sending an engineer on Monday so if no improvement, I'll drop back down to Infinity 1  🙂

0 Ratings