This is the second time this problem has occured, the first time i was on the phone to customer support who finally arranged for a engineer visit. But i had to cancel the visit as my connection then suddenly reverted to the full 80meg dl / 20 meg ul with a low ping and quick response that i started with.
No problems for 3-4 weeks, and then the weekend just gone the probelms start again. The major problem is the fact that connections hang for a while before anything loads. Doing ping tests shows packet loss on most tests (before the problems i had 0 packetloss, a 10-15ms ping and no jitter whatso ever), now i get the below:
And below is a common example of a speed test with the bt wholesale speed tester:
I am mostly forced to use my iPhones 3g for internet now, as websites take an age to respond, some applications wont sign in and just time out, such as some games etc.
Mostly the download speed is fine, but can be affected for periods of time as seen in the above image. But the problem with upload and the packet loss, means downloading through applications like steam etc very unreliable. It will start downloading but then drop to 0kb/s for a while before picking up downloading again.
I have tried contacting the customer services again, but could not get through the queue, no doubt i will be trying again though.
I am just beginning to become very dissatisfied with the service, especially with problems getting it in the first place. I just want a problem free connection, i am paying close to £30 a mo for this connection and have already payed my line rental up front, i think for what i am paying i shouldn't have to spend most of my time contacting bt to resolve problem after problem.
Any one have any ideas how to go about with this? Any one with identical problems? Just to state i am in the preston area, i am running the connection ethernet through a homeplug over the power lines. Have tried the connection through just direct ethernet, in safe mode and direct through the modem previously.
Have you tried a different computer as well as your own to see if there's any improvement?
Yes my girlfriend has her computer on the network too, same problems and she has also been relegated to using her iPhone also. And as i said have tried computers in safe mode so no software issues, have tried on lan card, and on both the wireless cards my pc has. Also wireless devices while stood next to the router etc.
I have tried this but it comes up saying i need to be logged into speedtest@speedtest_domain, i follow instructions and change that in home hub ctrl panel. But it then just fails to load when i click 'go'.
Okay so i have been dealing with customer support over the phone for weeks now. To no avail!
Basic summary is two engineer visits and a replace of the modem. Both times the engineer says oh the socket shows your profile as 80 meg/20 meg your internet is fine.
Just to say how unfine the internet is, it could not even upload the image below, it just hangs forever then finally says I/O error. Switch to 3G on my iPhone and click upload... 1 second and image is in my post. Also a lot of services over multiple devices are unusable. PS3 cant even connect. Xbox games cannot connect to game servers (especially EA).
The basic gist of what the technical help, apparently "Level 2" advise me is that i am stuck with a broken connection and that they will do nothing about it. Advising they do not guarantee any upload speed what so ever, or they do not even guarantee a working connection apparently.
How ever i am now able to run the further diagnostics that i previously could not. Which is included below, showing my upload profile max to be what i should be getting (and was getting before suddenly this problem arrises, again!)
I have however been getting good use out of my 3G connection (Good job it is unlimited). Am now just wondering why i am throwing wasted money at bt for products they cannot deliver 😞
Starting to get very close to the end of what i belived to be a large pool of patience. And unsure where to go from here, as customer support basically ended the call with "Sorry we can't really help you. BYE!"
Yup did just that direct ethernet from my pc to the modem, using bthomehub@btinternet or whatever it was as the username when setting up the connection. Tested and no change, so it does not seem to be a problem with the home hub.