cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 3 of 48

Infinity 2 disconnects during rain

Mt Hub 5 has started disconnecting every time it Raunds. I've had orange light and no connection for over 2 hours now. I spoke to an Open Reach engineer in person last week. He tins me I have aluminium cables which cut off when wet/damp. I also have no more than 25mb download speed. The encumber also told me the are serious HR problems in my area. I have had an HR fault 'fixed' a few months ago but the dreaded orange light is now back. When I am lucky enough to be online, it is too slow. I live in Dunsville, Doncaster and can't do anything about the came or I'd switch providers. What can I do (besides phone Indi ams be found fobbed off). I've had to use a 3G mobile to post this.
0 Ratings
47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

An Open Reach engineer told me. He also said ali cuts out completely when damp or wet. It's pouring with rain here in Doncaster today. Had orange light on Hub 5 for over 2 hours now.It's the second time this week. Posting on my mobile using 3G. Great isn't it?
0 Ratings
oliver-munn
Contributor
Message 2 of 48

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Sorry that's nonsense.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 48

Re: Infinity 2 disconnects during rain

Please excuse typos. Struggling with a mobile phone, despite paying BT almost £60 pm for their 'service'
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 48

What's the point of an online forum when people can't connect to the 'net? We need these cables replacing. Now.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 48

Why did he tell me that then? He said 'you have Ali cables. They disconnect when damp or wet. I'm in the area working on HR faults at the minute.' Are you suggesting I am lying about my poor connection? Why would I go offline during rain if the enginner's info was incorrect? Care to elaborate? Thanks to BT, I am stuck with 3G on my mobile and no other net for the past 2.5 hours.
oliver-munn
Contributor
Message 7 of 48

No all I'm saying is that Ali cables don't disconnect when damp or wet. It's likely you misunderstood what the engineer was telling you.

0 Ratings
oliver-munn
Contributor
Message 8 of 48

Is your phone affected? Is the phone line noisy with crackling or is it cut off?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 48

I have had crackles and noise in the past with this issue. Green box was adjusted and all was well over the summer. Noise went too. Now the orange light and no broadband issue is back. There is also some noise again on voice line. Same as before really. I have had the same issue in wet weather on and off since 2002 at the same address with both dial up and adsl via Virgin, now BT Infinity. I understood the engineer. This is a long term issue that shows no sign of ever being fixed. I switched to BT because the is no Virgin cable here and I didn't want passing between isp and BT when reporting faults (I've had a lifetime of that over 10+ years with the old isp).
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 48

I'm willing to accept that Aluminium cables do not have issues in wet weather when properly insulated and free of wear. The engineer made it clear that the issue arises when water does get in (for whatever reason). He also guessed that damp and rain water could be entering the green box that serves our village. It looks Edwardian. Anything is possible with a service this bad.
0 Ratings