cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Infinity 2 dropouts, router restarts, at certain times of day

I have been having this problem for a long time only wasn't a burning issue until you get into lockdown and are using conferencing, skype, or whatever in the evening with family and friends. My Router goes into "Red" mode often at 9pm or 10pm plus or minus a minute. The internet is dropped by the BT router/home hub. Rarely it fails not on the hour (it did go down at 9:20pm in the last week which was odd). I have had it fail at 11pm and 1am. It spends about 3-5 minutes renegotiating a connection then I am OK for another day or two.  It can fail every day of the week. BT diagnostics via website or FAULT text service says there is no fault and the problem exists in the house. Eh? Its the internet side that fails. The router is plugged directly into an Openreach socket and has an up to date filtered socket (it was replaced the last time I reported this - yes I have been here before maybe 2 years ago - to no avail and I gave up then - now I've had enough).

I have failed to manage to speak to anyone - no answer. Chat is just a dumb bot. 61998 has told me nothing I couldn't find out through running the diagnostics on the website. Surely the dropouts are visible to BT in some log that can be mined?

Unsure what to do other that ditch BT at renewal. I used to have 2 lines and 2 ISPs - one work one business. The business one was talktalk and never had these problems. In fact I would use talktalk as a fallback if BT glitched. This isn't a problem in my house.

Is there anything I can do? The timing suggests something is locally hitting the service as I doubt the opt/electronics care what time of day it is. If that is the case then all I can do is get out of the BT contract and try something else.

I have a BT Home Hub 5 connected to an Openreach Master Socket 5C (with the outputs side by side).

Any advice/help to solve the problem would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity 2 dropouts, router restarts, at certain times of day

Noting this info from my HH5:

NotSoInfinity_0-1593451622999.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

From your stats connection time is only 17hrs but with all the restarts/resets you describe I am surprised that your connection speed is still good and almost at attainable speed

can you check line for noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

have you tried using the test socket with a filter, even though you currently have a filtered master, to eliminate your faceplate and any internal wiring.  With that type of master did you check the faceplate is clipped in tightly as some post found faceplate had come loose

if your connection is dropping at a fairly regular time that suggests something local causing electrical interference resulting in hub resetting. Some have found problem with fluorescent light or heating boiler arcing as it cuts in and out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I have had some text dialog with BT and will be shipped a new Smart Hub. I did have my HH5 reset with some new settings tho that had no effect (in fact the internet side dropped at 00:58 and 20:59 today (30 June) - it took about 4 mins for the connection to come back. You see what I mean with things tripping near the top of an hour. There's nothing going on in 1 in the morning. Also my HH5 is plugged into a mains conditioning block usually used for HiFi - not just an anti-surge block. 

I'll add to this if the Smart Hub helps or not.

ps I no longer have a cable handset to test the noise side and suspect the timing thing means I'd probably have to do the test on the chance the problem occurs that trips the connection. Historically the engineer had tested the socket and updated it on the off-chance some 1.5 years - 2 years ago (it explains why I have an Openreach master socket). Like I say it didn't solve anything then. It's almost like the service is being hit by something (or some priority job) it can't handle or the BT infrastructure equipment has a fault only under some load conditions. Then other users would be complaining too - maybe it only impacts infinity 2 and there are fewer of us? So pause pending the new hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Update: newly delivered Smart Hub 2 has been up and running for >4 days which must be a record for recent months. I'll update after 1 week and then 2 weeks. If it gets that far then the problem was the old hub which I find bizarre unless it had difficulty handling some wider BT/VDSL network/environmental problem that only occurred at the top of an hour in the evenings to which (somehow) the newer hubs are more resilient. Jury is out tho I am getting my hopes up.

0 Ratings