Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marionh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Infinity 2 from ordinary broadband - worse speeds

Go to solution

I live in a very rural area and our Broadband speed before upgrade this morning was 0.793/4.084.

Our cabinet was activated on 10th April and we joined this morning.

I have had a text saying all okay but the service I am getting is worse than without infinity,

I reset the Hub as I had been using it yesterday - first test showed 0.58 upload and 3.91 download but after reset I am only getting 0.26 and 1.75. I should be getting 77.3 down and 20 up.

How long do I need to wait for infinity to kick in?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Infinity 2 from ordinary broadband - worse speeds

Go to solution
it can take up to midnight before service goes live please stop restarting your hub that will cause more problems did you not have an engineer visit to set up your infinity as infinity 2 is engineer installed
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

many infinity 2 installation are now self install unless there is special reason you need engineer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
xmb
Contributor
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

Surely if they move your line over to Infinity this would entailing disconnection from the ADSL DSLAM and connection to the street cabinet VDSL connection? Therefore it sounds like they moved someone elses phone line to Infinity! (I have heard of that before as it happened during my Opentreach installation!)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

@xmb wrote:

Surely if they move your line over to Infinity this would entailing disconnection from the ADSL DSLAM and connection to the street cabinet VDSL connection? Therefore it sounds like they moved someone elses phone line to Infinity! (I have heard of that before as it happened during my Opentreach installation!)

you don't need an engineer visit to your home to upgrade to fibre as the engineer can make the cab changes without the requirement to visit your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
marionh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

About half nine this morning broadband and telephone stopped working.

Then they came back and at 9.51 I received a text message saying BtInfinity was now ready for me.

We did not have a visit from an engineer.

There were no instructions about Infinity with the new hub when it arrived.

It just said to plug in and test as soon as it arrived which I did.

It was the desktop help supervisor which said when you had been using the hub prior to changeover, sometimes you needed to turn everything off and reset the hub before higher speeds could be reached.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Can you post stats from your hub. Enter 192.168.1.254 into address bar then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats

I would suggest you turn off smart setup. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

I would also split the networks. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

0 Ratings
marionh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

Evening.

Sorry for slow supply - babysitting today.

Had already stopped smart set up but not sure confident enough for other suggestion.

Current BT speedtest shows 42.1 download and 12.6 upload. Supposed to get 77 and 20?

Stas as follows;

. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: 
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:1 days, 10:27:51
6. Data rate:19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate:34036 / 87948
8. Noise margin:15.8 / 8.3
9. Line attenuation:17.9 / 14.7
10. Signal attenuation:18.0 / 14.7
11. Data sent/received:409.6 MB / 4.0 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-QTJR
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-QTJR
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:18:1e:78:23:3b:12
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 | Last updated Unknown
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution
was the speedtest done with a wired connection or wireless
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution
<p>From your stats you have the max connection 80/20mb for infinity 2 with 1+day connection time. Can you run btspeedtester and when first test complet's run diagnostic test and post results. Should be done wired

0 Ratings