cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clover
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity 2 profile of 36Mbps is 8Mbps less than predicted (and less than Infinity 1)

I found out (too late) from these forums that you shouldn't reset or unplug the modem and router during the first couple of days. I did reset and unplug a number of times while replacing the HH3 with my Netgear DGND3700v2. Have I permanently reduced my IP Profile as a result of this? Should I ask for an IP reset, just wait and hope for an increase, downgrade to Infinity 1 (since I'm getting less than 38Mbps), or something else?

My predicted speed at BT Broadband Choices continues to state 44Mbps / 8Mbps.

Using speedtest.net on a wired PC, mornings, no other users on network:

Day 1 speed was the predicted 44Mbps / 8Mbps / ping 10ms

Day 2 speed was 42 / 8 / 20ms

Day 3 speed was 40 / 8 / 20ms

Day 4,5 no test

Day 6 through 16 speed was 36 / 7 / 25-30ms

where it has remained ever since and today is day 16. Today I reset the modem and the router but no change to the IP profile which is as follows:

New Bitmap Image.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
jamie1985
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity 2 profile of 36Mbps is 8Mbps less than predicted (and less than Infinity 1)

DLM can take 2-4 weeks for your speeds to kick in, just leave your modem conencted without disconnecting and all should be fine.

0 Ratings
TheTvMan
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Infinity 2 profile of 36Mbps is 8Mbps less than predicted (and less than Infinity 1)

I do not know catagorically, however I would suspect that the system would aloow for some manual resets and or electrical issues. I mean you couldnt guarantee you wouldn't have a power cut in the first 10 days and so on. It would be unfair and ridiculkous to punish anyone with lesser speeds because of somethign beyond their control. I am confident in thinking that the system wouyld stilll try and up the speed if it remained stable after a manual reset. Unless of course you were consistently rebooting on a daily basis for days on end throughout the initial period?

0 Ratings
Clover
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks Jaimie, TvMan. Yes, the resets were only during the first couple of days, while I was figuring out how to get my Netgear to work direct into the white box without the home hub. The BT Vision gave me a bit of head scratching. There was a fair bit of resetting and unplugging cables and switching back and forth between the Home Hub and my NetGear until I figured it out. On day 3 it was all sorted with just an occasional router reset since then to see if the IP profile improved, but over those 13 days it has remained at 36Mbps.

Shame, because the connection has worked fine from day 1 even at 44Mbps. Which makes me think the cap or noise margin is too conservative.

The other thing is, I don't want to pay for Infinity 2 if I'm getting less than Infinity 1.

I know the IP profile can go down and then back up due to a temporary fault, but can it ever increase from the initial setting in effect on day 10? I have never seen an answer to that question!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

given time the DLM will reset your IP Profile but it needs training history and the most important period is the first 10 days when the modem should not be turned off at all all you can do now is wait Openreach will not do a reset of profile unless there is a fault and the profile drops below the 16mb minimum a single disconnect is very unlikely to drop the profile but multiple ones will
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

the modem will resets itself when the DLM releases tee profile just ensure it remains powered up 24/7 with no manual restarts
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 8

It is worth restarting your router (HomeHub) while things are adapting themselves, otherwise you can end up with a fast sync speed that is not reflected in your profile.  Maybe a disconnect/reconnect or restart once each morning.

But do not restart or do anything to the  modem (White box).

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 8

The DLM will rise but it will take longer than normal due to the resets giving the only history you have to be bad history.

Give it time and it will increase the speed.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings