cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DW16
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Infinity 2 "self" install tomorrow - no engineer, and provided microfilters for an ancient socket

Go to solution

Hi all,

Just moved to BT in my new house, after a year of patchy services with Virgin Media cable. I am due to do a self-install tomorrow. When I ordered, it said an engineer visit wouldn't be necessary. I'm starting to question whether this was incorrect. The house I live in now is a 1950s house, with a master socket in the hallway that looks quite old. It just looks like a standard extension socket. All my equipment arrived today, and I have installed the YouView+ BT box and got all the cabling ready. But when I looked at the broadband equipment I was provided, there was no faceplate, replacement socket or anything. There was only a single microfilter and a Home Hub 5. Surely this can't be right? I would've thought using a standard ADSL filter through an old socket would most likely give questionable performance at best?

My old house - which also had BT Infinity - was relatively new, and had a NTE5 socket with a branded BT VDSL faceplate screwed over the top, so you could easily just plug the home hub in. I assumed this was the set up for all BT installs. 

Have BT just made a mistake with my install, or is dishing out microfilters for self-installs just some cynical cost cutting measure?

Pics:

DSC_0353.pngDSC_0354.png

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Infinity 2 "self" install tomorrow - no engineer, and provided microfilters for an anc

Go to solution
I guess the best answer is going to be suck it and see.

The socket you have is fine for use with broadband, the nte is just a newer type of socket.

Plug everything in tomorrow and see how the connection performs.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Infinity 2 "self" install tomorrow - no engineer, and provided microfilters for an anc

Go to solution

The vast majority of infinity installs are self install with you being supplied with the hub and filters. Normally your phoneline would be working prior to infinity being connected. Just need to see if all works tomorrow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings