Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave72Allen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Infinity 2 slow speeds at peak times

Go to solution

hi,

A google search has brought me to these forums for some help so here goes,  I've had infinity 2 now for 2 years with no issues, connection over hard wire to a fire box, pc via homeplugs and w-fi to several apple products over 5ghz always a solid 60+ meg connection, last 5-10 days tho at peak times its down to 10-20 meg and on the previous weekend was less than 5 meg, which with 2 kids with ps4, xbox, netflix etc was un-usable really, can anyone look into this please?

I've tried online chat and got the usual unplug this and re-boot that off a crib sheet, but I know I can get the speed as off peak I,m back to 65+ meg, I did 2 line speed checks yesterday 1 off peak and 1 peak, the peak is posted below, I'm in Manchester on the Wythenshawe Exchange,

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 16.2 Mbps

0 Mbps 67.31 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.2 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  40 Mbps-67.31 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 67.31 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 15.72 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.72Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Infinity 2 slow speeds at peak times

Go to solution

were the btspeedtester results by using an ethernet connection direct to hub - without powerline adapters?  if not can you run btspeedtester again but with direct ethernet conenction to hub - once when connection appears ok and again probably at peak time when connection appears slow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @Dave72Allen

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you've been having recently with your broadband speed during peak times.  I have checked the exchange for any potential issues but nothing obvious stands out.

Can you connect wired directly between the Hub and the device you're using as requested by @imjolly and post those results?

When you post back we will take it from there.

Cheers,

Robbie

Dave72Allen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

This was pc connected via powerline, I have an off peak test from same source from earlier in the same day, that is pc connected via powerline, I lose very little speed using the powerline connection, its difficult but not impossible to get a direct ethernet connection result, off peak test results from same day below, thanks

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 65.77 Mbps

0 Mbps 67.31 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 65.77 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  40 Mbps-67.31 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 67.31 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 17.53 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 17.53Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

these results look ok for your connection  now need to do same again but at peak time tonight

there are posts where using powerline adapters has reduced/affected the download speed hence the request for a direct ethernet connection to the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Dave72Allen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

thanks for the reply,

The 'normal' speed result is from yesterday at 11am, the 'poor' result from 9pm last night so both recent tests performed on same pc with powerline adapters, I see my exchange seems ok could it be a cabinet issue?, I'm connected to cabinet number 53 on the Wythenshawe exchange

Thanks again for the help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

if it was a congestion issue then exchange is where the problem lies not the cabinet

can you try running tonight at peak time and post results preferably missing out the powerline adapters

Dave72Allen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Will do, I'll have to dig out an old laptop, I'll post the results either later tonight or saturday,

thank you

0 Ratings
Dave72Allen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

tried to run a speedtest today getting about 36meg download connected via ethernet cable but when trying to run a further diagnostic test its saying I need to change my router name etc , is this correct ? before it will let me carry out any tests?

was a lot slower during peak weekend times i.e 6-10pm last night

Thanks

36meg.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
No just try diagnostic test again lster

0 Ratings