cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Infinity 2 - slow upload (50Mb down)

Hello everyone.  Hope you are all well.  First post so please be nice!  I had Infinity 2 installed last month.  The speed estimator said 54.7Mbps down and 15.7Mbps up.  When installed the engineer tested and said I was capable of 64Mbps down and 10Mbps up, although he seemed to think the upload was capped?  I am currently getting 6.6Mbps up maximum.  Using a Windows 7 laptop with an i3 processor so it's not the pc slowing things down (as I am getting 45 - 50Mbps down that tells me its all good at my end).  I called BT and was told that I didn't need more than what I was getting anyway.  Not amused!  Has anyone else had similarly slow upload speeds?  My folks across the way on the same cabinet are on Infinity 1 and got 9.05Mbps on install (although this has dropped to 7.5Mbps over last few weeks).  Apologies for the long first post, but I would appreciate any input anyone can offer.  Thanks everyone. :smileyhappy:

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
baconnugget
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Infinity 2 - slow upload (50Mb down)

i was getting 10mb upload on home hub 3 when infinity install i reset my homehub and it went to 17mb, i was on bt broadband before

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 14

Test what your profile says and post.  Either http://speedtester.bt.com/ and choose the ‘ADSL and Fibre diagnostics’ option
or Tom’s BRAS checker http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker which isn’t a speedtest but gives profile.

BT tester is sometimes wrong (lower than you are really getting) on upload speed.  Try a test on http://speedtest.net/ I chose Infinity mainly because of upload speed; it has been good for me with real 17MBps most of the time (even when I had issues which made download slow, and BT speedtest upload appear slow).  You won't get better than 17 unless you unlock the modem and turn off qos, which I hear might make it go to 18 or so.

0 Ratings
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

baconnugget and sjtp - thanks for your replies.  I shall try resetting the hub and see what happens.  Do I have to change any settings after resetting? 

I have tried the websites you recommended and the BRAS profile is 48.27Mbps down and 20Mbps up so it isn't capped.  Given that my throughput was much higher at install (I recall 64Mbps arriving down the line) I am surprised it has dropped so much.  I haven't used it much and it's connected to an old pc (7 years old running Windows xp) as well as the laptop.  Could using it rarely or having it connected to an old machine have caused the speed to drop?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 14

The speed to the old machine might be low, because of limitations within that machine or its ethernet/wireless adaptor. That shouldn't change the profile, or slow things down for other connected machines.

It's possible that only very rare use means DLM can't establish sensible safe speeds; but it seems unlikely. (e.g. I don't know the answer to that part of the question.)

A simple reset (or disconnect/reconnect) shouldn't change any settings, so nothing extra to do when it's done.

A profile could fairly reasonably drop from an initial 64 (which wasn't allowing any headroom for errors) to 48, though that is a bigger drop than usual. That wouldn't explain why your up was so slow, though.
0 Ratings
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

sjtp - thanks for the reply. Reset the hub but no change to the BRAS profile. My network card is capable of 100Mbps but xp might not like coping with higher speeds. I shall be getting a new pc with Windows 7 in the new year so I shall be able to check with that and keep an eye on it. Disappointed with upload speed - only 350 metres to the cabinet and all internal wiring is only 18 months old.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 14

@giggsy1977 wrote:
sjtp - thanks for the reply. Reset the hub but no change to the BRAS profile. My network card is capable of 100Mbps but xp might not like coping with higher speeds. I shall be getting a new pc with Windows 7 in the new year so I shall be able to check with that and keep an eye on it. Disappointed with upload speed - only 350 metres to the cabinet and all internal wiring is only 18 months old.

You are connecting wirelessly am I correct as you're on a laptop?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Hi giggsy

Let's hope you don't have any aluminium in your service en route to the cabinet - that can have a very deleterious effect on VDSL. I speak from experience.

ptan

0 Ratings
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

ryant704 - I have used my mother's laptop as my pc is old both wired and wirelessly. There is little difference between the two to be honest. I would be happy with 10 up really. My folks across the road easily got just over 9 even though they are on the Infinity 1 package. That has dropped to 7.5 now though. Mine struggles to 6.5 at best. I'm sure the line could support more than this. ptan - you might be right re: aluminium. 😞
0 Ratings
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

My upload has now dropped to less than 5mbps. How can I contact someone to assist with looking into this for me as there may well be a problem? Thanks.
0 Ratings