Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

Infinity 2 speed drops over the last 6-8 months

Go to solution

Hi,

We've had BT Infinity for a number of years now and we've been more than happy with it, both in terms of speed and reliability.

We initially signed up to Infinity 1 which at the time provided up to 40 Mbps down and around 10 Mbps up.  it also came with a 20 GB data limit.

We very shortly realised that 20GB of data can be chewed up pretty quickly.

We therefore upgraded to Infinity 2.

Due to the distance from our home to the green Infinity street cabinet (around 300-400 metres), We never expected to get anywhere near to 80 Mbps and this was fine.  We always had a pretty solid 37-38 Mbps down.

However, in the last 6-8 months our download speeds are sitting around 25-26 Mbps.

This isn't really a big issue as it's still plenty fast enough (first world problems ... ha ha).

However, I am wondering if this speed drop could be due to contention as more and more people have switched to Infinity.

I'll be honest and say I haven't plugged our router into the test socket as when we have Infinity installed, we had a data cable run from the BT box in the hall, up the stairs and into our office where the router has sat every since.

At this stage, I'm really just looking for advice as to how much speed you would expect to lose if contention is the issue.

I realise I'm not providing a lot of information, but nothing has changed in our set up for quote some time.  Certainly nothing changed prior to me noticing the speed drops.

I did swap out the original Home hub a few weeks after we had Infinity installed. We're now using an Asus RT-AC68U router which is a great bit of kit.  Again, I've not updated the firmware in the last few months so nothing has really changed there.

Like I say, how much speed should I expect to lose if our cabinet is now heavily congested?

I should add that the tests I've done are all from a desktop computer which is wired to the router.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 2 of 41

Re: Infinity 2 speed drops over the last 6-8 months

Go to solution

I've Just used the BT Wholesale site to to a speed test and the results are below;Speed.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 41

Go to solution

Congestion would affect your download/throughput speed at peak time but not your actual connections speed. That may be affected by crosstalk especially if you were one of the early customers on your cabinet

can you post some stats from your asus but if your bets speed is about 40mb even 50mb you would be better downgrading to infinity 1 and save money

if you decide to downgrade then phone options team who are uk based. 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 4 of 41

Go to solution

Many thanks for the reply.  I had thought about downgrading back to Infinity 1 as there are no longer any data caps, but the difference in cost wasn't that much when I last checked.

I've just entered my phone number into the DSLchecker website with these results.  Not sure if they indicate I should be getting faster speeds.

Speed 2.JPG

0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 5 of 41

Go to solution

I'm just looking through the interface for my router and I can't see anywhere where it lists the line stats.

A Google search doesn't seem to throw up anything either.

One point I should make is that I get this new download speed all of the time, not just at peak times, which makes me question whether it really is contention.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 41

Go to solution
The most effective way to find out what you can get is to connect the BT homehub and check the help desk page
I can tell you as I use a third party router and i wasted a week cancelling because i didn't think about doing it
0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 7 of 41

Go to solution

OK, thanks for the info.  I'll dig out my old HH3 (I think) and see what it tells me.

I also went onto BT's Broadband checker page and it shows the following, which makes me think I should be guaranteed 35 Mbps, if I'm reading it correctly.

Speed 3.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 41

Go to solution

Your hh3 is no good as you need to connect the modem which has the stats not the hh

look through your asus and see if you can find information about attainable data rate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

Go to solution

Unfortunately, the router doesn't provide these stats. 

Should I maybe reach out to the moderators on here to see if they're able to investigate further?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 41

Go to solution

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Max-Atainable-rate/m-p/1614253/highlight/tr...  Message 7 appears to be stats from asus

0 Ratings