So we joined Infinity 2 on the 19th January with the router (Homehub5) syncing at just under 53Mb. We were originally estimated 56Mb to 74Mb. I queried the lower speed than we were expecting but was informed this was the most our line could handle. We've not had any issues since the 19th, I've been checking the router stats and we've not had any disconnections. About 30 mins ago we were disconnected and upon reconnection I checked the router to find we've been reduced to 48861 kbps.
BT live chat are telling me that they have "tested the line" and that this is the correct speed. They won't respond to the fact that it was previously higher. They say and I quote:
"if more users using internet at this time on your line the speed should be available to all so it is equally distributed"
So what I'm being told is that my speed will contantly change, it could go up a bit and the more people that want to get online means the slower we will recieve.
We were with Sky Fibre for 2 1/2 years recieveing a constant 40Mb. I only switched to BT because we were looking at going for a faster speed and their offers were better than Skys at the time. It's looking like I've made a big mistake given our current speed and what I'm being told.
Where do I go from here?
Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254
Lines 1-13 will be enough
enter your phone number and post results remember to delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
Going through my router log this is the initial connection:
19:52:57, 19 Jan.
DSL Link Up: Down Rate=52984Kbps, Up Rate=7748Kbps;
SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=6.0dB
We first had fibre installed with Sky 2 1/2 years ago which is when bt attended. The whole socket was replaced at that time and we were given an openreach modem. Recently whilst on Sky we had issues with disconnecting, this turned out to be due to the faceplate. I purchased a new bt mk3 vdsl plate and sky confirmed the errors on the line were gone and we had no further issues. When switching to bt we simply removed the openreach modem and the sky hub and plugged in the bt hub when I received the text to say infinity 2 was active.
No I didn't, however it was and still is sold as genuine. I've got no reason to believe it's a copy and the cause of this problem. Sky told me the line errors had gone after I fitted it and BT have done a line check via live chat and not told me there's any errors.
"Brand New. Un-opened. Sealed. COMES WITH Openreach Fitting Instructiuons.
GENUINE BT NTE5a BT Master Socket Latest IDC Connection
COMES WITH GENUINE BACK BOX"