Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardDalton
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Infinity 2 speeds less than Infinity 1!

Hi,

I've been on Infinity 2 in my current house for around 15 months now. To start with I was getting around 50mbit, which matches up with the speed they estimate for me:

You currently get
46Mb-60Mb Estimated download speed range* (I wish)
35Mb Minimum guaranteed speed*

However, over time the speed has slowly declined to now average between 32mbit and 34mbit, below the guaranteed speed.

Phoning support didn't help much as at the time it was showing close enough to 35mbit to still be within the guaranteed speed 😞 

Do you think there is any possible way to get the speeds back up to what they used to be? 

Here are the stats for my line from the HH5:
1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ43938274
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 02:40:09
6. Data rate:8901 / 34958
7. Maximum data rate:8900 / 50875
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 12.3
9. Line attenuation:28.6 / 20.5
10. Signal attenuation:28.7 / 19.6
11. Data sent/received:26.9 MB / 162.0 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:c8:91:f9:88:62:ba
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

My uptime was on 12 days before going through the troubleshooting which told me to reset the modem, it also told me my speed of 32mbit (from the BT speed test) was good!! 😞

If it's not possible to improve this speed, do you think BT will downgrade us to Infinity 1 as it is pointless paying the extra £4 a month for a service that we are not getting (still in a contract for Infinity 2 at the moment).

Thanks,
Richard

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Infinity 2 speeds less than Infinity 1!

Your max connection speed is 50875 but your actual connection speed is 34958.

The noise margin has risen to 12.3dB, which indicates that you have been experiencing disconnects, or have been restarting the home hub, especially as you are only showing a connection time of 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Why is it so short, as you most leave it turn on and connected, without any restarts, otherwise the equipment in the cabinet will reduce your actual speed.

If you want your speed to recover, then these are the steps you need to take.

DO NOT restart or disconnect the power to your BT Home Hub.

DO NOT disconnect your BT Home hub from your phone line.

Leave everything alone for at least 10 days, so that the exchange can record a stable connection.

During this time, the exchange may drop the connection, and re-establish a faster connection.

If you use the BT Speedtester, then do not restart the BT Home Hub, even if it tells you to.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

with your current attainable speed you would be better on the new infinity 1 package 55/10 and save some money - and get same speed as at present  phone options team 0800800030 - uk based 

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
RichardDalton
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

As I said I have only just reset it today as part of the troubleshooting (kinda ironic as I know reseting the hub can be a cause of lower speeds).

Before that my uptime was 12 days. I've been trying to keep it connected as much as possible in the hope that the DLM would increase the speeds.

I think the drop in speed over time might have been caused by having lots of electical work done in the house which required turning the power off and on quite a bit causing multiple disconnects. 

0 Ratings
RichardDalton
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

btspeedtester results: 

Download speedachieved during the test was - 32.56 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 23.68 Mbps-33.84 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 33.84 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7.77Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I'm not using the test socket, as I don't really want to disconnect it again. The socket is an Openreach Mk3 with the hub plugged straight into the socket.

I will give them a call and try and get them to downgrade me. (I miss my 76/18mbit Infintiy from my old house :()

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

unless you use the test socket there is no way to eliminate your internal wiring as causing the problem or  a faulty faceplate - which does happen but not often.  still up to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RichardDalton
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

To use the test socket do I need to plug an ADSL filter in to it and then my router in to that?

Will I need to leave it connected like this for a number of days as I am currently connected around the max speed of my profile (I think?) so have to give it a chance to adjust.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

yes you will need to use a filter to conenct to test socket and yesy you need to leave conencted for a few days to see if improves  also check other internal sockets do not have a dial tone

RichardDalton
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Cool, thanks for the help.

Will need to buy a new filter as I chucked them all out as I didn't think I would need them any more (doh!) 😄

Don't have any other sockets in the house so no need to worry about that 🙂

0 Ratings
RichardDalton
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Just thought I'd add this if it's any help as well. Not sure what the difference is between Range A and Range B, I guess I'm in B though?

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings