cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewk
Contributor
Message 1 of 49

Infinity 2 stabilisation period - how can I tell it is happening?

I ordered the upgrade to Infinity 2 and the BT Vision extra channels on 15 May 2013 and the activation date was set at 22 May 2013.    The date passed and .......... nothing ..... no extra channels and the download profile is unchanged at 38Mbps, though the upgrade profile had increased to 20Mbps.   The tracking page said that the order was still "In Progress".  I went on holiday shortly after the activation date and assumed that all would be well on my return.   When I got back on Tuesday this week and ..... still nothing ..... no extra channels and the same upload and download IP profile.

I rang BT and spoke to someone who said that my order was stuck in the works!!!   He said the only solution was to cancel and replace the order.   This was done and the activation date is .......... today, Fri 14 June 2013.   This morning, I received an email from BT telling me that "We're all done: see what's new".   I checked the tracking page and that  also showed the Infinity and Vision upgrades as being complete.   So far, so good.

I ran the BTW speedtest and the download IP profile is unchanged at 38Mbps but the upload profile has fallen to 10MBps, which I believe would be correct for Infinity 1.   OK, there has been a change, so something must have happened - but I have this odd feeling (probably engendered by reading too many posts on these forums) that it just might not be the right thing that has happened.   This feeling has not been improved any by the fact that I cannot yet access the extra BT Vision channels, despite the order supposedly being complete.

Question:   does anyone know whether BT send out these "We're all done: see what's new" emails and update the tracking page in advance of the order actually being correctly actioned??

Question:   how can I tell whether the Infinity 2 stabilisation period has actually started?

Question:   do I need to worry (yet)?

Regards

Andrew

0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 49

Re: Infinity 2 stabilisation period - how can I tell it is happening?

If the upload profile is 10 then your package is Infinity 1.
I recommend you start phoning BT.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Puppy
Contributor
Message 3 of 49

I understand that, as with most things BT. Although you have received notification of the change being complete. You should allow up to 18:00 on the day of the change for it to be implemented. From memory I also had to power down the modem and router to force a new negotiated connection. It may be worth a try.

Obvious caveats are do not power down the modem to many times to ensure that DLM doesn't kick in.

Dave
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 49

normally activation can take up to midnight on the activation day
0 Ratings
andrewk
Contributor
Message 5 of 49

I had a phone call this afternoon from BT informing me that the extra BT Vision channels should now be available - and they are!!   Maybe the Infinity 2 upgrade will happen later in the day (despite the email from BT saying that it is complete)

Andrew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 49

Opennreach often upgrade over night so may be worth checking again tommorow
0 Ratings
andrewk
Contributor
Message 7 of 49

Well, something is happening but I wonder if it is the right thing.   Download speed this morning is 37Mbps (before upgrade 37Mbps) and upload speed is 0.32Mbps  (before upgrade approx 6MBps).  

Do I need to worry?

Andrew

0 Ratings
andrewk
Contributor
Message 8 of 49

The BTW speed test shows download speed 37.76Mbps (IP profile 38.72MBps) and upload speed 0.33Mbps  (IP profile 10Mbps).   Unless I have misunderstood, this suggests that I am still on Infinity 1.

Maybe another wheel has come off .......

Andrew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 49

As I said earlier

If the upload profile is 10 then your package is Infinity 1.
I recommend you start phoning BT.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
andrewk
Contributor
Message 10 of 49

I hear what you say - but can you (or anyone else) please explain exactly what is supposed to happen - and how can I tell that it is happening.   

I hesitate to ring some chap on a call centre who is working from a script and who thinks that all problems can be solved by rebooting the HH3 or VDSL modem.

Andrew

0 Ratings