Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nostos156
Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Infinity 2 throttling p2p

Go to solution

Hi,

I took this out last year btw, so I should be on the 'totally unlimited' package.

Yet as you can quite clearly see here, bitorrent traffic is getting hammered when it comes to uploading. I was led to believe BT no longer did p2p throttling.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 34

Re: Infinity 2 throttling p2p

Go to solution

Hi,

Can't say there's evidence of that here.  I use P2P for downloading Linux distros and usually leave the torrent running for quite a while.  Though I do limit the upload speed so as not to have too much of an impact on the families internet experience.  IE: I set it at 768KB.  Prior to limiting, the torrent utilised most of the upload bandwidth impacting the browsing performance.

You could try that or just change the ports used.

0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 3 of 34

Go to solution

Hi,

I did change the ports. I tried almost everything because I didn't think the ISP was doing it - turns out they were the problem. Deluge would max out seeding at 120KiB/s, which translates to 950ish kbps as shown here.

BT is definitely limiting my p2p uploads for some reason.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution

Well all I can suggest is try another client and see if the problem persists.  I use Utorrent.  Though if you let the upload saturate your bandwidth you won't have a lot of fun browsing or doing much else online.

0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 5 of 34

Go to solution

I tried qbitorrent, and it had the same issue.

The only client that uploaded 2MB/s briefly was Transmission, but then it 'died' and stop seeding completely after that, so that seems suspect.

All I can say is the Glasnost results are in line with qbitorrent/deluge uploading speeds, and my real upload is 17Mbps.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 34

Go to solution

Hmm, at an impasse then.  Don't see a formal complaint going anywhere, if your up load on the BT speed tester is within the acceptable limits you'll just be told it's working correctly.  Try reducing the upload for a while, (days/weeks?),  then go back to unlimited and see if the restriction returns.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 34

Go to solution
Correct BT do not throttle P2P and have not done so for a few years now
0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 8 of 34

Go to solution

If they don't clearly the evidence on my end is saying something different, and confirmed with the external program. Just to note the relevant ports I used were open and this has been an ongoing issue, so not congestion related either.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 34

Go to solution

No torrent client should be set at unlimited upload, you are effectively throttling yourself.

0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 10 of 34

Go to solution
I'm not. I had it set below what my upload rate is. This isn't the problem.
0 Ratings