cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 34

Re: Infinity 2 throttling p2p

Go to solution
as you have seen the helpdesk cannot help and the twitter team who work along side the forum mod team passed you on to the tech experts you are getting paranoid that you are being throttled BT would not just throttle one customer and leave them selves open to action by OFCOM
0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 22 of 34

Go to solution

Paranoid?

My dude, I just showed you direct evidence. Stop ignoring that. Glastnost failed on my BT end, yet through a VPN it passed.

This is classic throttling behaviour no matter how you look at it. If it were my end, the VPN would fail too. No ifs, no buts. That's just how it works. The VPN obfuscates the p2p traffic and so it isn't being throttled.

Instead of dismissing me because you don't understand enough about this, try to actually be helpful. I've done enough tinkering on my end all week because I didn't think BT were throttling, but the evidence at least for me, is to the contrary. However, if BT is totally unwilling to look into it at all, perhaps OFCOM would be a good next step.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 34

Go to solution
OFCOM do not act on individual cases
0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 24 of 34

Go to solution

Then thanks for the 'help'.

I've shown you my evidence, now it's your turn to actually show how it's wrong. Linking guidance pages and claiming it doesn't happen to you doesn't disprove what's happening to me.

It seems to be an exceptional case so clearly someone would have to take a look at it.

0 Ratings
Boudges
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 34

Go to solution

I doubt it

If you liked a post, please click on the 'Ratings star' on the left hand side of the post.
0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 26 of 34

Go to solution

>Sees evidence

>Still blames you

>????

I really, really don't care for your 'opinions' in the face of direct proof. Unless anyone has anything constructive to say there's no further discussion here between anyone who isn't a mod.

Now what I have witnessed is some very few periods of time where the p2p uploads would indeed shoot up past 120KiB/s to 1.8-2.1MiB/s, right where it should be. Coincidentally, this only happened during what you'd used to call 'off-peak' hours. That is, after midnight.

Again, this is totally different from congestion traffic shaping, as BT's own page directly states that they don't come down hard on p2p over that - and 120KiB/s is barely 1Mbps. Where p2p upload sits for the rest of the time.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 34

Go to solution

Hi @nostos156

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

Can you send us over your details so that we can have a look at your connection?  As the guys on here have pointed out, none of our broadband packages have any speed restrictions at all.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

nostos156
Contributor
Message 28 of 34

Go to solution
Thanks, RobbieMac. Fired off an email.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 29 of 34

Go to solution

Hi nostos156,

I ran some tests over the last couple of days at various times and can find no evidence of throttling.  Slight speed variances perhaps, which are undoubtedly down to the sheer number of peers.

Perhaps your client is dodgy.

Glasnost.jpg

Also from uTorrent, tested at 'Peak' usage time 20:45 .

uTorrent data.jpg 

Can't see any problems here.

0 Ratings
nostos156
Contributor
Message 30 of 34

Go to solution
Were it so easy, Liam. The whole point of the Glasnost test is to test the ports themselves - not a client issue.

BT got back to me confirming they don't P2P throttle as a policy (I knew that), but because of the Glasnost tests, which they are taking seriously, they will do some investigation into what exactly is going on.

It could be QoS is being applied to a gateway level as a simple mistake. I would presume the systems still exist (due to grandfathered throttled accounts) - but that's just my theory.
0 Ratings