cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barleyman
Message 1 of 8

Infinity 2 upgrade, Infinity 1 speeds

As the title says. I upgraded my contract from Infinity 1 to Infinity 2 but didn't get any extra speed. It's sitting at 40-42Mbit/s that I was already getting with Infinity 1. 

Upload speed is fairly sad at 6.4Mbit/s. 

Can I change back to the Infinity 1 which should be 5 quid less as I'm not getting any benefit?

If you want details.. 

speedtest.pngchecker.png

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity 2 upgrade, Infinity 1 speeds

Your estimated maximum speed is 54M which is below the Infinity1 cap so there is no point in having Infinity2.

Barleyman
Message 3 of 8

They'd let me go back to my previous Infinity 1 plan, which is more expensive.. And no taking the cheaper Infinity plan 1 which was offered earlier. 

Meh. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If it is cheaper to be in Infinity 2 then stay with it but you won't get any more speed than you are getting.

Just because you are on Infinity 2 does not mean you will get better speeds. The speed is dependant on what your line can support and obviously your can not support Infinity 2 speeds and has been pointed out, it does not even reach the top speed of Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
Barleyman
Message 5 of 8

I grok, that's the OP point. No benefit of going to Infinity 2, can I go back to Infinity 1?

Answer: Yes I could but I'd pay more since my old Infinity 1 contract was more expensive.

Just to clarify, 54Mbit/s is the max speed possible presuming house wiring was perfect? So the best I could theoretically achieve with the test socket would be 42Mbit -> 54Mbit? 

0 Ratings
Barleyman
Message 6 of 8

And if someone wonders, I did have the option to "upgrade" to an even cheaper Infinity 1 contract. If you take the time to parse the 193 (yes, literally) options you get for upgrade, there are some pretty good offers there.

In this case £22.99 for 12-24 month Infinity 1 contracts and £27.99 18-month Infinity 2 contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Your estimated speed is between 35Mbps and 54 Mbps so you should get anything between those speeds.

It is not just dependent on your house wiring. Speeds are dependent on the distance you are from the cabinet and the condition of the line from that cabinet to your master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

The laws of physics cannot be changed just by changing your contract. The only difference between Infinity 1 & 2 is a software cap on speed.

0 Ratings