cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity 2 very poor Upload / Unacceptable download

I am serious at the end of my tether with BT. Having never used them before (previously NTL/Virgin Media Fibre then O2 (O2 LLU) ) I am extremely dissapointed with the level of customer service from the point of order to where I am now. I won't go into all the details as it's immaterial now but let me just say I placed my order on 15th August and eventually got my Infinity installed on the 19th September.

The problem I have now is that my download speed was estimated at 44.1mb and my upload at 8mb. My actually average speeds are between 13 an 25mb download and consistantly 0.9 to 1mb upload. Customer services (in India I believe) again have been useless and initially told me this was acceptable!!!!!! Having gone through all the "computer says no" tests and having esculated it to a "line manager" they have told me they will log an incident and I will get a call within 48 hours.

Now I am a realistic chap with a technical background in the aviation industry so I am fairly switched on to most things technical. I have carrired out lots of tests myself, stripping back all connections, testing hard wired (not wireless), removing telephone connection etc etc and all speedtests give similar results. As I say I am realistic so I did not consistentely expect to get 44.1 download and 8mb upload.

What is even more annoying is that on both my O2 and BT Normal Broadband(long story but had normal BT broadband for a week as they messed my order up) I was getting 8mb download and 1.4mb upload which is not only above their estimates but the upload is better than I am getting on Infinity now!

Has anybody got any words of wisdom or encouragement on the subject as I am now trying to get Virgin Media back, not only was their product better but their customer service whilst not perfect was light years ahead of BT.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity 2 very poor Upload / Unacceptable download

please run this speed test once the first test completes then run the further diagnostics test and post those results this will then show your ip profile and we can then start to help you further

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Mark_1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: Download Speed : 20.65 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: Upload Speed : 1.07 Mbps

My results as above

This seems to be the average, it varies between 13 and 25 download, the upload never changes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

can you please re try the speed test as the results are not displaying your IP profile which is needed to start to resolve the problem  results should look like this 

Infinity speedtest.PNG

0 Ratings
Mark_1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I have tried running the test on two different laptops and using both internet explorer and google chrome both hard wired to the router and I only ever get the speeds I originally posted plus the following error message

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Mark_1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Just tried again with all firewall's and anti-virus off, same error again.

0 Ratings
Mark_1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Finally I can see my IP Profile, as this shows both download and upload are nowhere near what they should be. Can anyone shed any light. I made a call to BT a week ago, they were supposed to get someone to call me back within 48 hours. I have heard nothing. Shocking customer services, absolutely shocking!

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 20.44 Mbps

0 Mbps33.88 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 20.44 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-33.88 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 33.88 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1.11 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.11Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 8

As you called BT a week ago we can safetly assume you are now outside of the 10 day period.

The difference betweem IP Profile and actual throughput is a cause of concern, they shouldn't be so far apart.

Could you try a direct connection to the modem bypassing the HH?

You'll need to set up a PPPoE connection on your PC, you can use your BT email credentials as the login info.

Run the further diagnostics again and let's see the result.

0 Ratings