cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buztafen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Infinity 2 w/HH5. Very slow surfing and page response even though connection speed is good.

Hi, first a short bit of background. Ive had Infinity 2 for 4 years with no issues and i've been using a HH5 for the past year without issue...until now.

Over the past week, certain websites and pages and general surfing are taking an incredibly long time to load or do not load at all and whichever browser im (Edge, IE, FireFox) using says the server is not responding. These sites are mainstream such as IMDB, Amazon, Eurogamer and even the BTCare community page would not load at all last night.

To attempt to resolve the issue i have:-

1) Checked BT's Service status page here:- https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

2) Ran through BT fault finding site here:- https://support.bt.com/fix/broadband/?view=broadbandtroubleshooter#/faults_case

3) Run through BT's Speedtest and other Speedtest, speed seems fine at 62mb D and 17mb U.

4) Flushed DNS and changed to Google Public DNS

5) Restarted HH5

6) Tried various devices including PC, iPAD and Phone. All exhibit same issue whether wired or on Wifi.

7) Checked to see if said websites that hang and become unresponsive are down...they arent.

Nothing has worked so far.

Is there anything else i can test as its becoming increasingly frustrating to do anything online on any device. Could it be a fault with the HH5?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Buztafen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity 2 w/HH5. Very slow surfing and page response even though connection speed is good.

Here are a few stats and information that will hopefully help to diagnose my

issue;-Speedtest.jpgHomehub 5.jpg

DSLCheck.jpgBTW Test.jpg

0 Ratings
Buztafen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: Infinity 2 w/HH5. Very slow surfing and page response even though connection speed is good.

Also, its taken me over an hour to post these images up as bt's website keeps timing out or hanging on both my wired pc and ipad. I had to use my phone and 3G to get these posts done.
0 Ratings
Buztafen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Update. I borrowed a HomeHub4 and Openreach box to test with my connection. Still having the same issues, browsing is extremely slow on Wired to Master socket (PC) and Wifi (Phone etc). I ran the same test as above with the HH4 and got the same speeds 62mb down, 16mb up, etc.

This BT Community page wouldn't even load for me last night. Had time outs and server not responding. I am posting this from work.

This leads me to believe its an issue with my connection rather than the router.

I have also performed the quiet line test and could hear no noise on the line.

Please, is there anyone out there who can suggest anything? I can see it being extremely hard to explain all this to a customer service rep from BT... 😞

0 Ratings
Tony-gbr
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Engineer visit as its clearly not the hubs.
0 Ratings
Buztafen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Cheers Tony. Is there any of the stats above i can use to confirm an issue with my connection? For instance are the Noise Margin and Attenuation figures good or bad?

Using BT's own speedtest alone seems to not show an issue...

General internet browsing was again excruciatingly slow last night and 50% of websites didnt even load ending in a server not responding. Again all was fine if i was using 3G/4G on my phone so the websites were not down.

I also tried some online gaming with my XB One and had major issues with being dropped from Halo games and not being able to view stats of games.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 9

There's nothing in your stats that would indicated an issue.

0 Ratings
Buztafen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for looking pippincp. I've been on the phone to BT and an advisor took me through the standard test, restarting hub, disconnecting everything the just connecting a single wired device before testing again.
The tests showed nothing out of the ordinary and speeds as advertised but I tried to explain that the speed of the line isn't the issue.
It's the loading of webpages and 'server connection problems' I am having that is the problem. For instance again I am having to post this using my phones 3G as through Wifi or on my PC through wired, I cannot load the BT community page! The page loading icon either spins forever or I get a mserver connection failed' error.
I have an open fault case on my line so if it is not resolved by Tuesday I will call BT back and try and get an engineer out.
0 Ratings
Buztafen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

More often than not, this what im getting when browsing from Firefox, Edge or IE...

Server Unresponsive.jpg

0 Ratings