cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MarkACE
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Infinity 80Meg service - BT speed tester results show max available 80 but only getting 40.

Go to solution

I am confused when I use the ADSL and fibre to the cabinet it reports a connection of only 40 but that the line is set up for 80. Is this the wrong option? I still have a drop wire so pretty sure fibre to the premises isn't the right option. When I use the beta over 24meg this appears to report 75/6 which feels more accurate.

Have a missed something?

Thanks in advance for your helpSmiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity 80Meg service - BT speed tester results show max available 80 but only getting 40.

Go to solution

Hi

BT speed tester can be a bit hit and miss at the minute.

Try www.speedtester.net or www.speedtester.bbmax.co.uk   and see what speed they give you.

Edit: Also it can take a while for the BT speedtest update the correct ip profile after the upgrade to the fastest speed.

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Re: Infinity 80Meg service - BT speed tester results show max available 80 but only getting 40.

Go to solution

That's for sure BT Speed tester is hit or miss, I've just had my result from for a very long time and my D/L speed was 4Mb on IP profile of 77.43Mb and U/L of 16.36Mb profile of 20Mb, really pleased with my D/L speed as it's a lot better than 0 or .89 lol.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@Paul1360 wrote:

That's for sure BT Speed tester is hit or miss, I've just had my result from for a very long time and my D/L speed was 4Mb on IP profile of 77.43Mb and U/L of 16.36Mb profile of 20Mb, really pleased with my D/L speed as it's a lot better than 0 or .89 lol.

iechyd da

To be honest, I think it's more miss than hit.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Agreed with Toekneem 🙂 Defo miss most of the time !! 

IT SUPPORT TECHNICIAN - Comptia A+ Certified, MTA Qualified and MTSC qualified
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
That's very true "MISS" , it's getting better now I've got 8Mb D/L lol on the Beta 76.45Mb, How can BT get is so right and yet so wrong lol
I only use them as a snap shot nothing else as I'm lucky I can look at at my connection on an hour by hour basis which is a lot more accurate.
iechyd da
0 Ratings
Flashpaul
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I am finding that speedtest.net is also giving erratic results , most of the servers show less than 40Mb/s for me.

I reckon that speedtest.net is overloaded with all the new upgraded infinity customers !

I get much more consistent [higher] speeds from these sites :-

speedtest.bbmax.co.uk

vmspeed.com

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

I can download files at about 8.5MB/s and the 3 sites above are in line with this.

0 Ratings
deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Agreed with Flashpaul. I dont rate the BT speedtester or speedtest.net as these are in such high demand due to the surge of BT customers who have upgraded there broadband to run 50 speedtests a day 🙂 

IT SUPPORT TECHNICIAN - Comptia A+ Certified, MTA Qualified and MTSC qualified
0 Ratings
MarkACE
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Robot LOL Thanks all for your help

0 Ratings