cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremy67
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Infinity Data Extension installation

I'm considering going for BT Infinity, but it's not turning out to be an easy choice! Reading forums and other info online there seem to be many imponderables about installation, getting a willing engineer, master sockets and so on, but for now I've got my concerns down to 2 major ones and I'd appreciate some help, please.

1. I've read that engineers will not lay the data extension under carpets or drill through walls for it. To get from a hall into a living room will they drill through a wooden door post? Also, in your experience, do the engineers make a tidy job of these extension installations?

2. I live in a 3 story house. The master socket is on the ground floor. Currently, for my standard broadband, I use a TP-Link modem and get a good signal on the top floor. What is the range like on the BT Hub? I should add that my house was built within the last 10 years, so its construction is fairly flimsy - plasterboard walls etc. Unfortunately, there are no phone sockets on the middle floor, only on the ground and second floors, and no wiring diagram to ascertain where the cable passes up through the building in order to be able to tap into it and create a socket on the middle floor.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Infinity Data Extension installation

Will they be willing to run a Data Extension Socket?

Depends, if its an Openreach Engineer then yes as we get paid a salary so doesn't matter if we spend one hour or one day on the same job as we still get paid the same.

Now if you get a Kelly's or MJ Quinns Engineer they probably won't as they get paid per job they do, £25 exactly. Now if they spend 2 to 3 hours running cables round peoples homes they will knock out 3, 4, or maybe 5 jobs a day. Only install it at the NTE though and they can do 7 to 10 jobs a day so do the math.

Yes, you're right. We won't lay Data Extensions under carpets and we don't drill through interior walls, not allowed. Yes we can drill through door frames though, have a 16mm wooden drill bit specificially for the task. Personally I would rather go externally with the data extensions cable as you can cleat in straight(ish) lines as opposed to going up and over door frames. This of course is not always possible as it depends on the location of the existing NTE.

Ref to doing a tidy job, I make it a point of pretending I'm installing a data extension in my own house and have my wife watching over me, if you get what I mean.

One possibility is you mention you have your router on the extension upstairs and live in a fairly new build. If the builders who built the house have used a decent internal cable for that extension and it has 3 or more pairs on it then there is no reason the engineer couldn't just take pair 3 and install an RJ11 right next to where the existing LJU is on the second floor.

jeremy67
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Hi plainview,

Thanks for your reply - very useful, especially the comment about the cabling to the socket on the second floor.

I thought all upgrades to fibre were done by Openreach engineers. I'm currently with BT so assumed it would be OR.

Erm, sorry to be dim, but what's an NTE?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 21

NTE stands for Network Termination Equipment. Basically its the technical name of a master socket.

It doesn't matter what ISP you're with, it will either be an Openreach, Kellys or MJ Quinns Engineer.

0 Ratings
jeremy67
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

@plainview wrote:

It doesn't matter what ISP you're with, it will either be an Openreach, Kellys or MJ Quinns Engineer.

Hmmm, so yet another imponderable then! For someone who is not an engineer, this Infinity thing seems fraught with difficulties. BT is really not making it easy for people to embrace this technology!!!

Thanks for clarifying NTE.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 21

Sorry, should state its Openreach who contract out the work to Kellys and MJ Quinns.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 21

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 21

Down out way we have been told we can can drill through internal walls if needed. Its door frames that we have been told to avoid, but like you say we have a wood drill bit that does the job. 

End of the day it all depends on the engineer you get and how willing they are to go about doing you what you want.

0 Ratings
Steve2070
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

16mm bit for a bit of Cat5?

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

'Down out way we have been told we can can drill through internal walls if needed. Its door frames that we have been told to avoid, but like you say we have a wood drill bit that does the job.

End of the day it all depends on the engineer you get and how willing they are to go about doing you what you want.'

One rule for one patch and one rule for another, sounds about right!

I probably would drill through an internal wall if we were issued those round plastice things that fit in the hole to make it look neat. I would also maybe do it if it was not visable, like in someones frontroom o bedroom but would if it was say through a cupboard wall to an attached garage or something.

0 Ratings