cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thirl88
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Infinity Day 1, very slow? Can't do BT diagnostic test.

Day 1 of my Infinity 1 upgrade (from Standard BT Broadband). I was activated sometime this afternoon, 1 day late, though I have not received any notification from BT to say I’ve been activated. I only know that something has changed because I did a speed test via speedtest.net. My speed has gone up from 12mb to 22mb download, and from 1.5 to 7.5 upload.

While 7.5mb upload is a fairly nice jump, 22mb download isn’t even double and is, frankly, incredibly disappointing.

Can I expect this to get better after I’ve had Infinity a day or two or is this it? Is what you get on day 1 what you get full stop?

I tried to do the speed/diagnostic test (several times) via the Hubs GUI and the BT test pages. However, I am repeatedly told that I am not connected to the Internet. Quite clearly... I am. Why is this happening? How can I do a proper test?

Do I even need to worry about it at this stage?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Infinity Day 1, very slow? Can't do BT diagnostic test.

You will have to wait 10 days before it can even be investigated, but its very important that you do not disconnect or restart the home hub, otherwise it will be seen as a fault, and your speed will not be increased.

What speed range where you told when you upgraded?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

can you post stats from your hub  if hh6 then advanced then technical log administration

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
thirl88
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Capture1.JPG

Image1.jpg

I hope this is what you are asking for? If not you'll have to spell it out for me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

your connection speed of 24.75mb is below bottom estimate - have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if your speed improves by eliminating your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
thirl88
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

I haven't tried the test socket or even plugged into my master socket at all. The reason being that my master socket

is at ground level in the hallway with no electric socket close by.

My PC is in my "second sitting room" (really an upstairs bedroom) and it does not have wifi. The hub sits on my desk connected to my desktop PC via Ethernet. The phone extension that the Hub is plugged into is long and I always expected to lose a bit of speed though it was never a problem on ADSL. I always got relatively good speeds.

I think the best I could do for test purposes is run an electric extension so I can reach the hub at the master socket and maybe borrow my brothers laptop to connect with the Hub at the master socket. But, no matter what the results, I'll always be stuck on the long extension.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

You will lose a lot more speed on BT Infinity, because it uses much higher frequencies.

This picture shows the frequency spectrum ADSL and VDSL Frequency spectrum

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

I would consider powerline adapters so you can connect hub to master socket and get best speed and then use adapter to get a good connection at your pc in second livingroom

0 Ratings
thirl88
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

OK - this is getting silly now.

I connected my Hub into the master socket. Hub went blue after a few minutes.

Connected a lap top to the hub and did a speed test using speedtest.net.

Download speed has now gone DOWN compared to what it was when connected through the long extension.

I also installed a TP-Link wifi adaptor to my main desktop PC in a bedroom upstairs from the hub.

(previouisly it was on a short Ethernet connection straight into the Hub as explained above).

Did the speed test again and it also came back slower. Download speed is now consistantly 19.5 (or close to it).

Upload speed remain around 7.5.

When I try to use the BT diagnostics through the Hub interface it checks my account then prompts to start a speed test. It gets to about 10% then ends and says I'm not connected to the Internet.

It then asks what colour the Hub light is. It's blue!

It then checks my phone line - no problem found.

It then does a futher check of some sort to see if the Internert is down - no problem found.

It then basically says - Thank You - No Problems Found.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

You need to try connecting to the test socket with a filter and then connect you laptop to the filter with modem rj11 cable then see if that works. As same time check that any other phone sockets in your home do not have a dial tone - all extension sockets whether in use or net should be dead

0 Ratings