Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OwenoWent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Infinity Delivery

Go to solution
I have a schedule with a BT engineer tomorrow to fit Infinity at my house.

As expected I received a package from BT two days before the appointment.

I was expecting the delivery to be the white Openreach modem, however all it was was a booklet and a short CAT 5e cable with red coloured terminations. Is that correct? It seems strange if the engineer can carry a modem in his van but not a meter's worth of cable. I just want to check before the engineer turns up.

Thanks in advance.

Owen
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
jparnell82
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Infinity Delivery

Go to solution

Thats correct. Openreach will bring the modem. I had the same as i already had the Home Hub 3, which i assume you do too?

I think its all to do with the split between BT Retail, BT Wholesale and BT Openreach and them all being responsible for different things.

James

OwenoWent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Phew. Thank you. Had nightmares that the engineer would turn up and go "so where's the modem, mate?" Yes, I have home hub 3.

It's all very bizzare.

Openreach: We'll pay for the modem, but we draw the line at paying for 1 metre of cat 5 cable!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Openreach is responsible for all connections up to the white modem, so they bring it with them when its installed. The ISP is responsible for everything after the modem so they send the cables for whatever kit they provide. 

OwenoWent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
I see. That makes sense Deathtrap.

Out of interest, does that mean that the openreach engineer will change my mastersocket facia? I have just a standard master socket (not a bt test socket) with no adsl out, so have to use a micro filter.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Yes they will fit a new master socket with a filtered faceplate so you wont need a plug in filter anymore.

OwenoWent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Good. I will make sure that they do that then. Thanks.
0 Ratings
jparnell82
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Out of interest, how did you get a Saturday appointment? Did you have to pay extra?

0 Ratings
OwenoWent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
Didn't have to pay extra. I just picked the slot when ordering online. Perhaps it's something to do with living in Wales? It's a governmental pledge to give everybody access to high speed broadband by a certain date.

Where I live, the connection speed has been notoriously slow for such a populated area. So maybe the government subsidise openeeach to get it rolled out.
0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

I have been given sat appointments for engineer visits, I think its just down to luck but I know people are able to request them for no extra charge also.

0 Ratings