cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bolis
Message 1 of 9

Infinity Drop Outs - Struggling with Tech Support

I'll start this by saying I'm not sure how frequently you would expect the service to suffer "frequent" drop outs, I accept that occasionally it will happen. Where I start to struggle is when tech support don't seem to want to recognise that there is a problem. If I can relay my circumstances, can someone give me some insight into what if any issues I might have please?

This morning as an example, fire up the PC, router goes all orange light on me and loses its connection, then proceeds to connect and disconnect for the next few minutes. Reset router, leave it alone for a bit.

Later this morning, same stuff happens, phone BT support who perform a line test, all clear, and a connection test, all clear. Pass it to the engineers to "stablise my connection".

This is not the first time I've had my connection stablised, I would say every 2-3 months I go through an issue like this, there are no issues, but they're going to stabilise the connection. I would say when you've got 24-48 hours of being unable to use the internet connection you've paid for there's and issue.

I've never been entirely convinced that my setup is correct but that's purely from the confidence of the tech guy who came to set it all up, he didn't seem to sure of what he was doing. We don't have a handset connected to the landline, when we plug one it it drops the internet connection too. But I don't need a landline so that's never been an issue. I don't use the main socket into the flat, I use a secondary socket with a filter on it.

Other anecdotal things:

- HH5

- Issues with wireless connectiviety which the splitting of the WiFi bands didn't solve, replaced the HH5, seems to have worked but both HH5s have had the same droping connection issue

- I think I've got the Win10 DHCP issue going on, I've manually configured the IP address but I still have occasional drops of connectivty on the PC and have to disable/reenable the network adapter, this is separate from the connectivity issue

- Starting a download on Steam will almost always cause the router to drop to orange light of doom

Any thoughts, is this normal, am I just unlucky or could there be an underlying problem?

Thanks for your time!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity Drop Outs - Struggling with Tech Support

If plugging a phone in drops your connection there is obviously a problem.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

these drops are not normal  have you tried conencting to the master socket or better still the test socket with a filter and see if that helps your conenction

you need to try quiet line test by dialing 17070 option 2 and listen for any noise  best done with corded phone   you need a landline for your internet conenction.

can you post stats from your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Bolis
Message 4 of 9

Didn't expect such a quick response, thanks!

So, first screenshot:

LineTest.JPG

Speettest Results:

Download: 46.11

Upload: 6.53

Ping: 15.38

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ53316850
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 28/06/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 03:22:28
6. Data rate:7146 / 49200
7. Maximum data rate:7154 / 48214
8. Noise margin:5.8 / 3.9
9. Line attenuation:24.4 / 24.7
10. Signal attenuation:24.2 / 22.4
11. Data sent/received:55.1 MB / 4.6 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

On the quiet line test plugged into the master socket, I can hear digital noise in the background for a while, then just white noise which might just be the handset quality. As soon as I lifted the handset the connection dropped and I got orange light again. I checked the secondary sockets and I am getting dial tone at both of them in addition to the master socket.

In order to test using the master socket I'm going to have to do some significant rearranging as the master is nowhere near anything useful to be able to connect up to!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Have you tried using another filter in case that filter is faulty. Obviously best solution is to try test socket with a new filter and see if that solves thes problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Bolis
Message 6 of 9

I shall give it a go and post back results. Thanks
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

When doing a Quiet Line Test at the test socket don't even use a filter. Plug the phone, preferably corded, straight into the test socket. Thus eliminating everything else from the equation.

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

@XRaySpeX wrote:

When doing a Quiet Line Test at the test socket don't even use a filter. Plug the phone, preferably corded, straight into the test socket. Thus eliminating everything else from the equation.

How so as the digital broadband signal will be present. A filter must be used otherwise it sounds like being connected to a fax machine.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Thanks, @pippincp, you're right.