Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigelangel1
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Infinity...Not quite!

Go to solution

I've had Infinity option 1 for over a year now, and except for the 40Gbt  usage limit it's been fine.  But recently after watching many BBC programmes through iPlayer, I went over my limit by quite a large amount. So I decided to go for Infinity option 2, then I don't have to worry about going over, and there's that added bonus of much faster uploads and down speeds of around 70Meg.  

I was watching the Spanish Grand Prix through iPlayer at the weekend, and it kept freezing every minute or so and giving the message that my bandwidth was insufficient. So I did steed tests with three reliable test sites, as well as the new BT beta, one, and my speed was still zooming along at around 65Meg. 

So now I'm wondering if BT is throttling down iPlayer as well as just about everything else, all through the day until midnight at weekends, as well as after 4.00pm until midnight on weekdays too?  Don't get me wrong, having Infinity is great compared to the old 3meg I used to get from Sky, But why should something like iPlayer, or ITV Player, be slowed down at the times when they're most needed! 

I fully understand that BT does throttle back speeds between certain hours to enable everyone to get their fare share of bandwidth, but this is the blue ribbon, high speed service, that we're paying good money for, and I for one feel that I should be getting much better service at the times when I most need my 'super fast' broadband.

The three students in the TV ads for Infinity always seem to be able to download full albums in seconds, etc, but there's no mention that the speeds for some services will slow down to a snail's pace at certain times during the day!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Infinity...Not quite!

Go to solution
BT only throttle P2P - I've never noticed a "slow down" on anything else.

It could just be that the iPlayer servers were getting hammered with the streams of the F1.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
nigelangel1
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Well, to be honest, I haven't noticed iPlayer slow down or freeze before, even for BBC HD, so maybe it could be a server problem like you suggested. And as for those P2P downloads, I have no idea what you're on about! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The OP wrote:

"

The three students in the TV ads for Infinity always seem to be able to download full albums in seconds, etc, but there's no mention that the speeds for some services will slow down to a snail's pace at certain times during the day!"

I agee that the advert is totally misleading,but so are all TV adverts.

It is just business these days,they compete for customers in a very competative market,not to mention a global  financial problem.

So I quess the wisest move,is to take adverts with a pinch of salt and think before we buy.[no offence intended].

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

You are correct Ironman but companies such as Virgin Media have been forced to remove misleading adverts on several occasions. All it needs is enough people to complain to the ASA who will carry out an investigation of the veracity of the ad.

If you think the advert is misleading - complain.

If not - keep quiet.

Anyone purchasing a service from any company should always read the T's & C's, they then know what they are signing up to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
I don't think the advert is misleading 😕 Works in my house just as it does in the advert, 3 or 4 of us can use the net at any time without any issues at all!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
nigelangel1
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

When a BT sales person called me last year to offer me Infinity, he also told me that the use of WiFi hotspots is completely free to BT broadband customers. I argued that the use of hot spots isn't actually free, as to get the service you must agree to allow your own Home Hub to be used as a hot spot, providing the BT Fon service for others to connect to. He told me that I was wrong, and all you have to do to be able to use the WiFi hotspots for free, is to be a BY broadband customer, and it doesn't matter whether or not you opt in to allow your own Home Hub to be used as a hot spot. 

I gave the salesman a chance to redeem himself, by asking him to go and check with his manger. He went off for a minute and then came back to me to tell me I was not correct, and what he had told me was 100% right, his manager had confirmed this for him.

I was happy to have the Infinity service, but I don't want to be lied to or given information that an advisor hasn't bothered to make sure is correct. So I made an official complaint to BT, and the sales call was listened to by the manager who called me back.  I was told that yes, I was totally correct, and the sales man should never have told me what he did. I was given a full apology and told that the advisor concerned would receive further training to make sure he doesn't make the same mistake again. 

I know that some BT broadband customers who read this will say that they don't know why I felt I needed to complain, as even if a home hub is used to give a BT Fon hotspot, the amount of bandwidth used is negligible, and won't even be noticed.  But that's not the point, my point is that in their ads BT are shouting to all that it's totally free to use the hotspots, and their sales people will say anything to get the business. I used to work for the UK's largest energy supplier, and as long as they were hitting their sales targets, advisors were able to tell prospective customers whatever they liked. Their managers knew that they were miss selling, but did nothing to stop it, until a an official complaint comes in. Then the advisor concerned would be charged with gross misconduct and usually dismissed. Their manager knew all along what was going on, but did nothing to spot it, as the sales were flying in!

As for those students in the BT Infinity ads.....what a wonderful world they live in!  Getting full albums in a few seconds, whatever time of day they log on, but then, their whole lives seem to be influenced by the super fast service they get! 

I don't think there's any need whatsoever for BT to slow down certain kinds of downloads between around 4.00pm and midnight. These are the main times that most people want to use their computers, and as another poster pointed out, they don't slow down iPlayer or ITV Player. So why show a 'Big Brother' attitude for services such as peer to peer downloads/uploads.  They must feel that P2P means illegal downloads, but it doesn't at all! OK, some people illegally download free movies and albums, etc, but that's no reason for Big Brother BT to slow down every download to virtually nothing! It would be just as easy for BT to isolate the large users of illegal material and warn them to cut it out, 'or else', but they simply tar everyone with the same brush! 

I fully agree with the poster who said that if we all complain and show BT we don't to be treated like naughty children, they'll be forced to the practice of slowing things down.

When Infinity was launched, other than Virgin Media, BT fibre optic customers were pretty much stuck with the service for at least the term of their contract, and when that ran out they wouldn't generally want to go back to their old broadband service. But now it's getting close to the point where through 'free market' rules, other broadband providers can offer their own high speed fibre  optic services. As an example, Plusnet are offering a fibre optic service, and I'm sure that before long some of the larger providers such as Sky, will be offering a super fast fibre optic service. BT needs to get its act together, or they will soon be out done by other providers who won't slow down the service at certain times of day!

0 Ratings