cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Infinity Setup

Thinking of switching however I have a few questions about the setup.

Current setup is with Virgin Fibre optic (BT phoneline). Cable runs from virgin box outside to top floor office in the house and into the superhub, run computer direct from hub via cable everything else in the house via wireless and homeplugs.

My question is can BT replicate this setup as main phone point is in the hall 2 floors down, and looking at the setup (providing I have understood it) this is where the BT hub will live thus potentially too far from my office. I work from home 5 days a week and need the best connection to my computer hence the setup as it is I don't really want to be connecting using the wireless for my daily grind.

Any advice?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Infinity Setup

If it is practicable for you, your best bet will be to have the Infinity modem at the main phone point/master socket, and run an ethernet cable to the HomeHub router upstairs.  You won't have any loss of speed from that arrangement.

You could use powerlines from the modem (downstairs) to HomeHub (upstairs).  Only the best powerlines are likely to give you full Infinity speed; they tend to give much lower speeds than their nominal rating.  Our 500Mbps powerlines give less than 100Mbps.  It depends a lot on details of your wiring.  You could check that out with your existing powerlines in advance of any installation.

As an alternative the installer could probably run a data extension from downstairs to the top; that might lose a bit of speed.  Or possibly they could even move the master socket; again you might lose a bit of speed from the extra length of telephone cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Infinity Setup

@bluegavscott wrote:

Thinking of switching however I have a few questions about the setup.

Current setup is with Virgin Fibre optic (BT phoneline).

Does your office already have a (BT phoneline) ?

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings